Difference between pages "Andover Author - Anne Bradstreet" and "Schools Constructed Prior to 1950"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Annebradstreet.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Anne Bradstreet]]
+
== North District School ==
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
The school was located on the corner of North Street and River Road from 1835 to 1947. Later the building was used by West Andover Community Associaton.  It was demolished in 1984.
The Townsman, March 19, 2015, page 13.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', November 10, 2005
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
  
Bradstreet is considered to be the first female American poet and the first female English poet (her brother-in-law had her works published in England).<br>
 
  
*''Meditations Devine and Moral''<br>
 
*''Tenth Muse Lately Sprung Up in America''
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=137643&t=bradstreet%20anne&tp=author&l=5&d=1&hc=3&rt=author ''The Works of Anne Bradstreet'']
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=137646&t=bradstreet%20anne&tp=author&l=5&d=1&hc=3&rt=author ''The Works of Anne Bradstreet in Prose and Verse'']<br>
 
  
See
+
== North Parish School ==
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=anne%20bradstreet&ft=&l=5&d=1&f=&av=&at=420 List of Books about Anne Bradstreet]
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=forgotten%20tales%20of%20Massachusetts&ft=&l=5&d=1&f=&av=&at=420 The Pioneer Poetess:Anne Bradstreet in ''Forgotten Tales of Massachusetts''] by Peter F. Stevens, p.97.
+
*[http://www.annebradstreet.com/ Anne Bradstreet]
+
*"In North Andover, Pages From an Early Poet," '' Boston Globe'', May 6, 2007
+
*"Hunt for Anne Bradstreet, Early Andover Poet," ''Andover Townsman'', November 24, 2011, p. 8.
+
*"Library to fete Bradstreet, Founding Mother, Poet. Enactment to mark 400th Anniversary of Poet's Birth,",''Andover Townsman'', August 30, 2012, p. 11, 12.
+
*"Making their marks on the world," ''Andover Townsman'', June 6, 2013, p. 5.
+
*"Of Prose and Poetry: The Town's Early Published Women.", Townsman, Thursday, March 19, 2015
+
  
 +
The first school house in Andover was erected in Feb. 3, 1701, in North Parish (now North Andover). In 1718, a second schoolhouse was erected in South Parish.
 +
* ''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'', October 22, 1964
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:32, November 15, 2011 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired --><br>
 
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 14:46, July 5, 2012 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 14:03, July 13, 2012 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:22, 22 January 2016 (EST)
 
  
 +
== Punchard Free School ==
 +
 +
The Punchard Free School, at 36 Bartlett Street, was founded in 1856 by bequest of $50,000 from resident Benjamin H. Punchard.  The school was dedicated September 2, 1856 but fire destroyed it 12 years later. The school was rebuilt under the jurisdiction of the town. Public funding began in 1901 and the school was renamed Punchard High School.  When a new high school was built in 1957, Punchard became Andover Junior High. The last high school class graduated from Punchard on June 14, 1957. Conversion to town offices began in 1982.
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', December 30, 2004
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 20, 1957
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=townswoman%27s%20andover&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=''The Townswoman's Andover''] by Bessie Goldsmith, pages 43-39 (974.45 Gol)
 +
 +
== Stowe School ==
 +
 +
Stowe School, named after Harriet Beecher Stowe, was located on Bartlett Street from 1894 to 1971. It housed the Central Grammar School.
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 19, 2003
 +
 +
 +
== Chronology of Andover Schools ==
 +
 +
The chronology of Andover's school buildings was researched by James Batchelder.
 +
 +
[[Image:schools.jpg|thumb||left| “Chronology of school buildings,'' [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), 154 …..click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 +
[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x187426370/Andover-Stories-Andover-public-education-started-by-1647-law Andover Public Education Started by 1647 Law.] by Jim Batchelder, Andover Historical Society.
 +
 +
[[Image:johndoveschool.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Location of John Dove School and Jackson School.]]
 +
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
Eagle Tribune, May 16, 2009.
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)--<br>
 +
[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:57, August 21, 2012 (EDT)--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 14:45, September 11, 2012 (EDT)
 +
<br>--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:05, 22 January 2016 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 16:18, 22 January 2016

North District School

The school was located on the corner of North Street and River Road from 1835 to 1947. Later the building was used by West Andover Community Associaton. It was demolished in 1984.

  • Andover Townsman, November 10, 2005


North Parish School

The first school house in Andover was erected in Feb. 3, 1701, in North Parish (now North Andover). In 1718, a second schoolhouse was erected in South Parish.

  • Lawrence Eagle Tribune, October 22, 1964


Punchard Free School

The Punchard Free School, at 36 Bartlett Street, was founded in 1856 by bequest of $50,000 from resident Benjamin H. Punchard. The school was dedicated September 2, 1856 but fire destroyed it 12 years later. The school was rebuilt under the jurisdiction of the town. Public funding began in 1901 and the school was renamed Punchard High School. When a new high school was built in 1957, Punchard became Andover Junior High. The last high school class graduated from Punchard on June 14, 1957. Conversion to town offices began in 1982.

  • Andover Townsman, December 30, 2004
  • Andover Townsman, June 20, 1957
  • The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith, pages 43-39 (974.45 Gol)

Stowe School

Stowe School, named after Harriet Beecher Stowe, was located on Bartlett Street from 1894 to 1971. It housed the Central Grammar School.

  • Andover Townsman, June 19, 2003


Chronology of Andover Schools

The chronology of Andover's school buildings was researched by James Batchelder.

left

Andover Public Education Started by 1647 Law. by Jim Batchelder, Andover Historical Society.

Location of John Dove School and Jackson School.


Eagle Tribune, May 16, 2009.
--Eleanor 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)--
Leslie 16:57, August 21, 2012 (EDT)--Leslie 14:45, September 11, 2012 (EDT)
--Eleanor (talk) 15:05, 22 January 2016 (EST)

back to Main Page