Difference between revisions of "Schools Constructed Prior to 1950"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 39: Line 39:
  
  
 
+
''
Eagle Tribune, May 16, 2009.
+
Eagle Tribune'', May 16, 2009.
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)--<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)--<br>

Latest revision as of 15:21, 22 January 2016

North District School

The school was located on the corner of North Street and River Road from 1835 to 1947. Later the building was used by West Andover Community Associaton. It was demolished in 1984.

  • Andover Townsman, November 10, 2005


North Parish School

The first school house in Andover was erected in Feb. 3, 1701, in North Parish (now North Andover). In 1718, a second schoolhouse was erected in South Parish.

  • Lawrence Eagle Tribune, October 22, 1964


Punchard Free School

The Punchard Free School, at 36 Bartlett Street, was founded in 1856 by bequest of $50,000 from resident Benjamin H. Punchard. The school was dedicated September 2, 1856 but fire destroyed it 12 years later. The school was rebuilt under the jurisdiction of the town. Public funding began in 1901 and the school was renamed Punchard High School. When a new high school was built in 1957, Punchard became Andover Junior High. The last high school class graduated from Punchard on June 14, 1957. Conversion to town offices began in 1982.

  • Andover Townsman, December 30, 2004
  • Andover Townsman, June 20, 1957
  • The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith, pages 43-39 (974.45 Gol)

Stowe School

Stowe School, named after Harriet Beecher Stowe, was located on Bartlett Street from 1894 to 1971. It housed the Central Grammar School.

  • Andover Townsman, June 19, 2003


Chronology of Andover Schools

The chronology of Andover's school buildings was researched by James Batchelder.

left

Andover Public Education Started by 1647 Law. by Jim Batchelder, Andover Historical Society.


Location of John Dove School and Jackson School.


Eagle Tribune, May 16, 2009.
--Eleanor 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)--
Leslie 16:57, August 21, 2012 (EDT)--Leslie 14:45, September 11, 2012 (EDT)
--Eleanor (talk) 15:05, 22 January 2016 (EST)


back to Main Page