Difference between pages "Smith and Dove Flax Mills" and "St. Francis Seminary"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
John Smith was born in Brechin, Scotland in 1802After the death of his father in 1810, John was unable to attend school regularly and began to work on farms and in flax mills to help his family survive.  
+
The St. Francis Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built on River Road near the Tewksbury line in 1930. The seminary was closed in 1977The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center.
  
Smith left Scotland and traveled to Boston via Halifax, Nova Scotia. He arrived on December 15, 1816. He found work as a machinist in Watertown.  He left to travel the country in August of 1819, arriving back in Medway, Massachusetts in 1820, where he worked as a machinist again.
+
See
 +
* "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers,"'' Andover Townsman'', December 18, 2008.
  
Smith founded a machine company in Plymouth known as John Smith & Co and asked his brother Peter to join him in AmericaSeeking the water power in Andover, John and his two business partners moved their company to an unoccupied mill in Frye Village in 1824; the business partners died in 1829.
+
*[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x528363060/Elderly-housing-proposal-considered-for-River-Road/print Elderly Housing Proposal Considered for River Road, Franciscan Center Land] ''Andover Townsman'' May 12, 2011
  
In 1833, Peter Smith and John Dove decided to form a company to spin flax and manufacture machinery needed for the process.  They had originally met in Scotland where they worked for John Dove's father. John Smith went into business with them and eventually the company ceased making machinery. They bought water power and buildings from Abel and Pascal Abbot in Abbot Village in 1843. In 1864, John and Peter Smith and John Dove incorporated as the Smith & Dove Company. By 1896 they employed 300 people.
+
[[Image:TurtleMound.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Location of Turtle Mound.]]
 
+
John and Peter were philanthropists. John donated funds to Phillips Academy, Abbot Academy and $50,000 to establish Memorial Hall Library. John saw slaves being sold in South Carolina and became a staunch abolitionist.  He founded the Free Christian Church based on anti-slavery doctrine - something he became adamant about after seeing slaves being sold in his travels in the South. Peter was a supporter of the West Parish Church.
+
 
+
John's home on 349-351 North Main Street became the [http://www.mhl.org/historicpreservation/detail.htm?ID=546 Shawsheen Manor].
+
 
+
Both John and Peter are buried at the West Parish Garden Cemetery.
+
 
+
See
+
*"Andover Stories column: Smith & Dove: Turning Flax into Gold", ''Townsman'', March 31, 2011.
+
*Andover Historical Society Newsletter Articles:
+
**"First Flax Mill in America (Smith & Dove Mfg. Co.")by George Glennie - Vol. 03, No. 4
+
**"A Long Linen Thread: Smith & Dove in Andover" by Florence Feldman-Wood - Vol. 23, No. 4
+
*[http://www.andoverhistorical.org/manuscripts/manuscripts-mss420.htm Mary Byers Smith Papers (granddaughter of John Smith)] Andover Historical Society
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/103693?query=historical%20sketches%20andover%20bailey;qtype=keyword;locg=5  ''Historical Sketches of Andover, Massachusetts''.]   by Sarah Loring Bailey  (974.45 Bai)
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
[[Image:hillsidehouse.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Hillside House]]
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)<br>
 
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)
 
+
 
+
 
+
''The Townsman'', November 19, 2015, page 11
+
 
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 12:53, October 7, 2006 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 17:48, August 8, 2012 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 20:46, December 27, 2012 (EST)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:58, 22 January 2016 (EST)
 
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:26, 22 January 2016

The St. Francis Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built on River Road near the Tewksbury line in 1930. The seminary was closed in 1977. The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center.

See

  • "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers," Andover Townsman, December 18, 2008.
Location of Turtle Mound.


--Eleanor 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
--Leslie 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)

back to Main Page