Difference between pages "St. Francis Seminary" and "Andover By-Pass"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The St. Francis Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built on River Road near the Tewksbury line in 1930. The seminary was closed in 1977.  The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center.
 
  
 +
The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.
 +
 +
Cochran was also the benefactor for the [[Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary]] on the grounds of Philips.
 
See
 
See
* "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers,"'' Andover Townsman'', December 18, 2008.
+
* "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"''Townsman'', September 17, 2015, page 11
 
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
*[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x528363060/Elderly-housing-proposal-considered-for-River-Road/print Elderly Housing Proposal Considered for River Road, Franciscan Center Land.  ] ''Andover Townsman'' May 12, 2011
+
 
+
[[Image:stfrancis.jpg|200px|thumb|left|St Francis Seminary.]]
+
 
+
 
+
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)
  
With Christmas Lights - A popular holiday sight form the mid-1930's to the mid-1960's
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 25, 2014, page 14.
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)<br>
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:33, 22 January 2016 (EST)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:48, 12 February 2016

The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.

Cochran was also the benefactor for the Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary on the grounds of Philips. See

  • "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"Townsman, September 17, 2015, page 11


--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)




back to Main Page