The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.
Cochran was also the benefactor for the Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary on the grounds of Philips.
- "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"Townsman, September 17, 2015, page 11
back to Main Page