Difference between revisions of "November Club"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 9: Line 9:
 
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
 
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
  
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling,Andover Historical Society. "Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
+
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
  
  

Revision as of 18:59, 18 July 2012

  • The November Club was the first women's club in Andover. It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
  • The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
  • In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
  • The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
  • By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church. The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
  • Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. Andover Townsman January 19, 2012. p.8.




back to Main Page