Difference between revisions of "November Club"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 8: Line 8:
  
 
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
 
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
 +
 +
See
  
 
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
 
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.

Revision as of 19:01, 18 July 2012

  • The November Club was the first women's club in Andover. It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
  • The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
  • In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
  • The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
  • By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church. The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.

See

  • Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. Andover Townsman January 19, 2012. p.8.



--Leslie 19:00, July 18, 2012 (EDT)

back to Main Page