Difference between pages "November Club" and "Andover Business - Century Bank"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
*The November Club was the first women's club in Andover. It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
+
Century Bank opened on July 16, 2012 at 15 Elm Street, previously Settles Glass, which closed in 2008. The site first opened in 1928 as a gas station. The bank originally planned to restore the building, but it was later determined that it could not be salvaged.  The new building was designed to match the historical character of the original building.
 
+
*The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
+
 
+
*In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
+
 
+
*The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
+
 
+
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
+
 
+
See
+
 
+
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
+
 
+
*November Club Yearbooks, 1907-1967 in Andover Room at Memorial Hall Library
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 19:00, July 18, 2012 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 11:41, 21 July 2012

Century Bank opened on July 16, 2012 at 15 Elm Street, previously Settles Glass, which closed in 2008. The site first opened in 1928 as a gas station. The bank originally planned to restore the building, but it was later determined that it could not be salvaged. The new building was designed to match the historical character of the original building.



back to Main Page