From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
|−|Century Bank opened on July 16, 2012 at 15 Elm Street, previously Settles Glass, which closed in 2008. The site first opened in 1928 as a gas station. The bank originally planned to restore the building, but it was later determined that it could not be salvaged. The new building was designed to match the historical character of the original building. |+|
in as a to of .
| || |
|−|<br style="clear:both;" /> |+|
| || |
|−|<!-- insert signature here, if desired --> |+|
| || |
|−|back to [[Main Page|Main Page]] |+|
[Category:Andover Answers Index]] |+|
Revision as of 14:58, 23 July 2012
- Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS) was founded in 1894 by a concerned group of citizens as part of a national movement to improve living conditions in an age of industrialization.
- One early project was to conserve a glacial deposit known as Indian Ridge.
- After World War II, from the mid 1950's through the 1960's and 1970's, there was concern that, with so much construction, little or no open space would remain in Andover. Harold Rafton and others pursued the aquisition of properties through gift and purchase, vastly increasing AVIS acreage and the number of reservations.
- AVIS is run by a 15 member volunteer board. Many more wardens and committee members and scouts help to maintain and improve the reservations.