Difference between pages "Ballardvale Mills" and "Old Town House"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Ballardvale Mills'''
+
The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.  It was orginally constructed for a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room..."
<p><ol>204 Andover Street</ol></p><br>
+
  
The Ballardvale Mills were established when William Ballard, one of the first settlers, of Andover established a saw mill and a grist mill. Later in 1794. Timothy Ballard was granted the use of falls on the Shawsheen River to power the mill.  Upon Timothy's death in 1836 John and Willam Marland, Abraham Gould, and Mark H. Newman bought the property and established the Ballardvale Manufacturing Company. In 1841 Marland imported English worsted machinery to make the first worsted wool in this country. In 1866 the mills became known as the Bradlee Mills.
 
  
The mill consisted of both brick and wooden buildingsThe brick buildings were sold to the Northern Rubber Company in 1930. In 1944 this company was purchased by the Shawsheen Rubber Company.  
+
In 1882 an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902 a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls.
 +
The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.  
  
In 1898 a fire destroyed several buildings. 
 
  
 +
During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space.  Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.
  
See
 
  
*Andover's Former Mill Village. ''Andover Townsman'' January 4, 1996, p. 17,18. (elebrating Andover's 350th anniversary insert)
+
In 1989 the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning. The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor.  A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.
  
  
*Mills of Ballard Vale Captured Attention of Artist Sheeler ( Shows The Mill, a painting by Charles Sheeler, the first
+
See
artist-in-residence at the Addison Gallery at Phillips Academy.) Boston Globe September 8, 1996, p.17
+
  
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989
  
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
  
''Boston Globe'' September 8, 1996, p.17
+
*"Sentimental journey for hall", ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 2005.
  
*Ballardvale Mills Made Award-Winning Flannels, ''Townsman'', August 18, 2011
+
*"Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", ''Eagle Tribune'', March 18, 2008.
  
 +
[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/rentals/townhouse.php Andover Town House Function Room ]
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=422474&t=The%20Lower%20Merrimack%20River%20Valley%3A%20An%20Inventory%20of%20Historic%20Engineering%20and%20Industrial%20Sites&tp=title&l=6&d=0&hc=2&at=420&rt=title ''The Lower Merrimack River Valley: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites''] R 609 Low, p.7
+
Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 12:34, October 7, 2006 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)<br>
 
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 12:16, November 21, 2011 (EST)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:20, September 17, 2011 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 11:49, 22 November 2011

The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town. It was orginally constructed for a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room..."


In 1882 an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties. In 1902 a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls. The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.


During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space. Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.


In 1989 the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning. The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor. A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.


See

  • Andover Townsman, April 27, 1989
  • Andover Townsman, May 4, 1989, p. 6+
  • "Sentimental journey for hall", Andover Townsman, July 21, 2005.
  • "Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", Eagle Tribune, March 18, 2008.

Andover Town House Function Room

Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House


--Glenda 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)
--Kim 12:16, November 21, 2011 (EST)

back to Main Page