Difference between pages "Old Town House" and "Ballardvale Historic District Commission"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.  It was orginally constructed for a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room..."
+
The Ballardvale Historic District Commission established by the town in 1995 to preserve Ballardvale. According to Chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws its mission is to:
 
+
*To preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of the buildings and places significant to the history of the Commonwealth’s cities and towns.
 
+
*To maintain and improve the settings of those buildings and places.
In 1882 an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902 a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls.
+
*To encourage compatibility with existing buildings when new buildings are planned within the district."
The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.
+
 
+
 
+
During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space.  Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.  
+
 
+
 
+
In 1989 the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning.  The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor. A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.
+
  
 +
The regulations for changes to buildings in Ballardvale are clearly defined in the *Rules Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC".
  
 
See
 
See
  
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/35500?query=history%20of%20ballardvale;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 History of Ballardvale Andover] Room R 974.45 His
 
+
*[http://preservation.mhl.org/bhdc Ballard Historic District Commission(BVHDC)]
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
+
*[http://preservation.mhl.org/sites/default/files/files/BVHDC%20rules.pdf Rules, Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC]
 
+
*"Ringing Out the Old" Townsman, January 1 ,2004
*"Sentimental journey for hall", ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 2005.
+
 
+
*"Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", ''Eagle Tribune'', March 18, 2008.
+
  
[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/rentals/townhouse.php Andover Town House Function Room ]
 
  
Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House
+
--Eleanor 15:22, March 14, 2006 (EST)
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
--Eleanor (talk) 15:23, 5 March 2015 (EST)
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 12:16, November 21, 2011 (EST)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 16:37, 5 March 2015

The Ballardvale Historic District Commission established by the town in 1995 to preserve Ballardvale. According to Chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws its mission is to:

  • To preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of the buildings and places significant to the history of the Commonwealth’s cities and towns.
  • To maintain and improve the settings of those buildings and places.
  • To encourage compatibility with existing buildings when new buildings are planned within the district."

The regulations for changes to buildings in Ballardvale are clearly defined in the *Rules Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC".

See


--Eleanor 15:22, March 14, 2006 (EST)

--Eleanor (talk) 15:23, 5 March 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page