Difference between pages "Cemeteries in Andover" and "Flood - March 1936"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
+
In March of 1936 there was a devistating flood in Andover.  A torrential downpour on Saturday, March 14, was followed by another on Wednesday, March 18.  This second rain storm proved too much for the already swollen waters of the Shawsheen River. The river had crested higher than in the previous 55 years that records had been kept.
  
 +
200 boys from the Conservation corps and troops from the National Guard helped Andover clean up from the 1936 flood. 104 homes were evacuated in the Shawsheen and Marland Villages of Andover.  The Marland Mill Dam prevented flooding in Ballardvale.  Although, at its peak, the water rose to the top of the dam. 
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
+
The Boston Globe printed a "Boston Globe Pictoral Flood Sourvenir" section with pictures from all over New England.
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
+
                                                                           
**First burial was in 1810.
+
**Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
+
***See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," ''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 2013, p. 16.
+
  
 +
             
 +
See
 +
*" Shawsheen, Marland Villages Submerged", ''Andover Townsman'', March 20, 1936, page 1.
 +
*"Andover Recovering After Record Flood", ''Andover Townsman'', March 27, 1936, page 1.
 +
*"Past & Present: Shawsheen Village,"  ''Andover Townsman'', November 14, 2002.
 +
*"High Water Mark", ''Sunday Eagle Tribune'', March 26, 2006, page. 1-3.
 +
*"Past & Present: Shawsheen Square," ''Andover Townsman'', May 18, 2006.
 +
*"Another look at Andover's Great Flood of 1936," ''Andover Townsman'', May 18, 2006, p. 36.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=Andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And), Seventh Section.
  
*[http://www.christchurchandover.org/ Christ Church Cemetery - Episcopal]
+
[[Image:Balmoral flood 1936.jpg|thumb|left|"View of the Flooding in front of the Balmoral"Andover:What It Was, What It Is '', Seventh Section....click to enlarge]] flood.jpg [[File:flood.jpg|200px|thumb|center|Arial view of Shawsheen ]]
**Located at 25 Central Street.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1840.
+
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:39, September 25, 2006 (EDT)
**Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
+
**When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading.  The cemetery is in this portion.
+
 
+
 
+
*Jenkins Family Cemetery
+
**Located off Douglas Road near the Jenkins Farmhouse.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
+
**Only 6 grave stones remain all direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover.
+
***The remains of the Jenkins family were removed and place in the William Jenkins Lot of the Spring Grove Cemetery.
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery]
+
**Located on Chapel Avenue.
+
**The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91539&CScntry=4&CSst=21&CScnty=1177&CSsr=281& Sacred Heart Cemetery]
+
**Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
+
**A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association
+
+
 
+
*[http://staugustineparish.org/church_home.html St. Augustine's Church Cemetery]
+
**Located off Lupine Road; office at 43 Essex Street.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1855.
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.northparish.org/index.php North Parish Burial Ground in North Andover]
+
**First burial ground established in Andover.  Andover split into the North Parish (North Andover) and South Parish (Andover) in 1855.
+
**[http://hne-rs.s3.amazonaws.com/filestore/1/2/9/1/1_40bc7622deefd6a/12911_e6dfb13f33ac7fb.pdf"The Old Burial Ground on Academy Road, North Andover]
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91565 Saint Francis Seminary Cemetery]
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/index.html South Church Cemetery]
+
**Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street)
+
**Oldest cemetery in Andover
+
**First burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
+
**[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/ List of people buried in South Church Cemetery]
+
[[File:southchurchmap.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Map of South Parish Cemetery]]
+
[[File:Memorial.jpg|200px|thumb|center|List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery]]
+
** [[See South Church (Parish)]]
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/ Spring Grove Cemetery]
+
**Located on Abbot Street.
+
**This is the Andover town cemetery.  At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery.  Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871.  A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941.
+
**An online search by name is located on the town's website [http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/search.php Spring Grove Cemetery search] 
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.jcam.org/Pages/Cemeteries_New/Cemetery_Pages_08/Lawrence_Mt_Vernon.html Temple Emanuel Cemetery]
+
**Corbett and Mount Vernon Street
+
 
+
 
+
*[http://www.westparishgardencemetery.org/ West Parish Cemetery]
+
**Located at 129 Reservation Road.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.
+
 
+
 
+
*Woodbridge Family Graveyard
+
**Behind 89 Jenkins Road
+
**Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
+
**Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there.  They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove.
+
**The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
+
 
+
See
+
 
+
*"Buried here (famous Andover residents)," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 1995, p. 1.
+
*"Historic Undertaking: Repairing stones is grave matter," ''Andover Townsman'', February 21, 2002, p.1.
+
*"Revolutionary War-era cemetery now town's," ''Andover Townsman'', April 25, 2002.
+
*"Revolutionary War era cemetery is town's: Woodbridge Jenkins Cemetery," ''Andover Townsman'', May 2, 2002, p. 22.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/26062?query=farm%20and%20neighborhood%20cemeteries;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 "Farm and Neighborhood Cemeteries of Andover and North Andover, Mass, Including Stone Inscriptions"] by Lenora White McQuesten.
+
*"Finding roots in Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', January 11, 2009, p. 9.
+
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
 
+
 
+
See also
+
 
+
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
+
 
+
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 12:11, 18 March 2015

In March of 1936 there was a devistating flood in Andover. A torrential downpour on Saturday, March 14, was followed by another on Wednesday, March 18. This second rain storm proved too much for the already swollen waters of the Shawsheen River. The river had crested higher than in the previous 55 years that records had been kept.

200 boys from the Conservation corps and troops from the National Guard helped Andover clean up from the 1936 flood. 104 homes were evacuated in the Shawsheen and Marland Villages of Andover. The Marland Mill Dam prevented flooding in Ballardvale. Although, at its peak, the water rose to the top of the dam.

The Boston Globe printed a "Boston Globe Pictoral Flood Sourvenir" section with pictures from all over New England.


See

  • " Shawsheen, Marland Villages Submerged", Andover Townsman, March 20, 1936, page 1.
  • "Andover Recovering After Record Flood", Andover Townsman, March 27, 1936, page 1.
  • "Past & Present: Shawsheen Village," Andover Townsman, November 14, 2002.
  • "High Water Mark", Sunday Eagle Tribune, March 26, 2006, page. 1-3.
  • "Past & Present: Shawsheen Square," Andover Townsman, May 18, 2006.
  • "Another look at Andover's Great Flood of 1936," Andover Townsman, May 18, 2006, p. 36.
  • Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946, (974.45 And), Seventh Section.
"View of the Flooding in front of the Balmoral"Andover:What It Was, What It Is , Seventh Section....click to enlarge
flood.jpg
Arial view of Shawsheen


--Eleanor 15:39, September 25, 2006 (EDT)

back to Main Page