Difference between pages "Ballardvale" and "Andover Business - Andover National Bank"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Ballardvale area in Andover is named after Timothy Ballard who owned a salt and grist mill in the 18th century. In 1836, John Marland built a woolen mill on the site that went bankrupt in 1857.  The company treasurer, J.P. Bradlee aquired the mill, named it the Bradlee Mill, but the area continued to be called Ballardvale.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:06, 8 May 2015 (EDT)Andover National Bank shared a Main Street building with Andover Savings Bank constructed in 1890.  The Andover Savings Bank became Andover bank; In 1956 the Andover National Bank merged with the Merrimack National Bank to be called the Andover and Merrimack National Bank which merged with the Methuen National Bank in 1957 to become the Merrimack Valley National Bank. BayBanks Inc. acquired the Merrimack Valley National Bank.  
  
'''Interesting facts:
+
See
'''
+
* The People Places & Events: a history of BayBank Merrimack Valley", Andover Room File.
''<br style="clear:both;" />
+
*The Lithia Spring Company in Ballardvale sold bottled water with lithium in it. Lithia salts were added to the water. Paul Hannigan from Lawrence set up the company in the 1880's. The company furnished the only carbonated water carried by the United States Navy when they went on their World Cruise in 1912.  The company was bought by another group of men in the 1890's. Mineral water was very popular at the time. Lithium was not discovered as a treatment for mania until 1948.
+
  
*The first successful machine cut steel files were made at the Whipple File Co. in Ballard Vale in the 1850s.
+
*A Historical Sketch Covering One Hundred Twenty Years of the Andover National Bank. Andover, Massachusetts 1826-1946, Andover Room File-Business.
  
*The first railroad, opened in the summer of 1836, went from Wilmington to Andover and entered Ballard Vale behind the South School.  The original railway station still stands on Andover Street.
 
  
*In 1848, the Ballard Vale District School had 178 pupils and two teachers who received a salary of $40 per month.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
[[File:Andover bank.jpg |200px|thumb|left|Photo of Andover Bank from promotional materials printed for Andover's 300 Anniversary]]
  
*In 1890, the new Ballardvale School was the only school in Andover with running town water.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
*In 1995 the Ballardvale Historic District Commission was created to preserve the characteristics of Ballardvale.
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
See
+
*[[Ballardvale Historic District Commission]]
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=history%20of%20ballardvale&ft=&l=5&d=1&f=at&av= History of Ballardvale] Andover Room 974.45 His A compendium of articles about Ballardvale, taken from a variety of sources.
+
  
*"Andover's Former Mill Village," ''Andover Townsman'', January 4, 1996, p. 17,18,21. (Celebrating Andover's 350th Anniversary insert, photos)
+
[[File:AndoverNationalBank.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Andover National Bank about 1897]]
  
*"Mills of Ballard Vale Captured Attention of Artist Sheeler (Charles Sheeler)," ''Boston Globe'', September 8, 1996, Northwest section, p. 17.
 
  
*"Smooth sailing so far for Ballardvale Historic District," ''Andover Townsman'', January 14, 1999, p. 17.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"Behind Ballardvale," ''Townsman'', November 6, 2003
+
The Andover National Bank is in the center of the picture. The electric Trolley lines were installed to travel to Lawrence in 1891, to Reading in 1900 and to Haverhill in 1901.They operated until 1934.
  
*"Ballardvale had Something in the Water: Gold-medal Winning Lithium.Virginia Perry Reck," ''Andover Townsman'', 8/27/2009, p.13.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"1896 Titans of Trade," ''Andover Townsman'', January 17, 2013, p. 5.
+
--([[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]]) 14:55, August 24, 2011 (EDT)
  
*"1896 Titans of Trade Part II: Downtown Merchants," ''Andover Townsman'', January 24, 2013, p. 16.
+
--([[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]]) 14:55, April 1, 2015 (EDT)
  
 +
--([[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]]) 14:55, May 8, 2015 (EDT)
  
''<br style="clear:both;" />
+
--([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 10:53, 1 April 2015 (EDT)
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:18, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
+
--([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:06, 8 May 2015 (EDT)
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:13, 8 May 2015

--Eleanor (talk) 15:06, 8 May 2015 (EDT)Andover National Bank shared a Main Street building with Andover Savings Bank constructed in 1890. The Andover Savings Bank became Andover bank; In 1956 the Andover National Bank merged with the Merrimack National Bank to be called the Andover and Merrimack National Bank which merged with the Methuen National Bank in 1957 to become the Merrimack Valley National Bank. BayBanks Inc. acquired the Merrimack Valley National Bank.

See

  • The People Places & Events: a history of BayBank Merrimack Valley", Andover Room File.
  • A Historical Sketch Covering One Hundred Twenty Years of the Andover National Bank. Andover, Massachusetts 1826-1946, Andover Room File-Business.



Photo of Andover Bank from promotional materials printed for Andover's 300 Anniversary


Andover National Bank about 1897



The Andover National Bank is in the center of the picture. The electric Trolley lines were installed to travel to Lawrence in 1891, to Reading in 1900 and to Haverhill in 1901.They operated until 1934.


--(Eleanor) 14:55, August 24, 2011 (EDT)

--(Eleanor) 14:55, April 1, 2015 (EDT)

--(Eleanor) 14:55, May 8, 2015 (EDT)

--(talk) 10:53, 1 April 2015 (EDT)

--(talk) 15:06, 8 May 2015 (EDT)
back to Main Page