Difference between pages "Flood - May 2006" and "Old Town House"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Twelve inches of rain fell in Andover in three days - Saturday, May 13, through Monday, May 16.  It was Mother's Day weekend. The highest serge of the Shawsheen River was 8.63 feet above normal. 10 major roads were flooded, including High Plain Road, Main Street from Shawsheen Square to Stevens Street, River Street, and Riverina Road. The Washington Park Condiminiums, The Balmoral Condominiums, and Atria Marland Place were among the structures that were evacuated. The Balmoral Condiminiums were heavily damaged.
+
The Old Town House is also known as the Old Town Hall.
  
Balmoral Condiminiums did not reopen until the fall of 2006. On Saturday, December 9, 2006, the Trustees of the Balmoral organized a fundraiser to help residents of the condiminium defray reconstruction costs.   
+
On March 1, 1858, a committee was appointed to choose a site for and to consider building a Town House.  The land was chosen and purchased from Mr. W. Philip Foster for $2,000.  The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.   
  
  
See
+
The architect was Theodore Volkers and the contractors were Abbott & Clement.  The building was described as a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor, a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room with a fire-proof safe, and a small room to rent as an office or store."  In a committee report made on December 20, 1858, the building was described as 55ft by 86ft long.
* Page 1 of the ''Andover Townsman'', May 18, 2006
+
 
**"A Foot of Rain! Emergency Declared, But no Locals Injured in Flooding"
+
 
**"Flood Costs Tallied as Cleanup Begins"
+
On May 7, 1860, the committee reported the expenditures:<br>
**"Washington Park Condo Residents are Evacuated"
+
Land $2,000.00<br>
 +
Building $13,541.16<br>
 +
Furniture $1,474.10<br>
 +
Celebration $105.90<br>
 +
Total Expense: $17,122.16<br>
 +
 
 +
 
 +
In 1882, an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902, a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls.  The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space.  Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
In 1989, the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning.  The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor.  A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
In 2008, work was done to fix damaged shingles that had started to fall off the roof.  This necessitated blocking off the parking spaces surrounding the building. 
 +
 
 +
In 2009, the hall at Old Town Hall was named the "James D. Doherty Town Meeting Hall," after the town's longtime Town Meeting moderator, Jim Doherty.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication_Ceremony.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Old_Town_Hall.jpg|thumb|...''Old Town Hall''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
* "Restored - Again!" ''Andover Townsman'', December 21, 2006, page 19.
 
* "Rivers Rage", ''Eagle Tribune'', May 15, 2006. page 1+
 
* "Will it hold?", ''Eagle Tibune'', May 16, 2006, page 1+
 
See articles in Eagle Tribune May 15-May 21, 2006 for coverage of the Flood.
 
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:43, September 25, 2006 (EDT)
+
 
 +
See
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', September 4, 1858.
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', November 20, 1858.
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', December 25, 1858.
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', January 1, 1859.
 +
* "Andover considers ways to save old Town Hall", ''Eagle Tribune'', November 25, 1986.
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
 +
*"Sentimental journey for hall", ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 2005.
 +
*"Roofing slate falls from Old Town Hall", ''Eagle Tribune'', January 18, 2008.
 +
*"Falling shingle prompts emergency roof fix", ''Andover Townsman'', February 7, 2008.
 +
*"Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", ''Eagle Tribune'', March 18, 2008.
 +
*"Hall named for Jim Doherty," ''Andover Townsman'', November 26, 2009.
 +
*"Past and Present: Old Town Hall", ''Andover Townsman'', October 25, 2012, page 3.
 +
 
 +
[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/rentals/townhouse.php Andover Town House Function Room ]
 +
 
 +
Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)<br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:32, March 14, 2012 (EDT)
 +
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 13:28, 14 July 2014

The Old Town House is also known as the Old Town Hall.

On March 1, 1858, a committee was appointed to choose a site for and to consider building a Town House. The land was chosen and purchased from Mr. W. Philip Foster for $2,000. The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.


The architect was Theodore Volkers and the contractors were Abbott & Clement. The building was described as a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor, a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room with a fire-proof safe, and a small room to rent as an office or store." In a committee report made on December 20, 1858, the building was described as 55ft by 86ft long.


On May 7, 1860, the committee reported the expenditures:
Land $2,000.00
Building $13,541.16
Furniture $1,474.10
Celebration $105.90
Total Expense: $17,122.16


In 1882, an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties. In 1902, a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls. The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.


During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space. Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.


In 1989, the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning. The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor. A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.


In 2008, work was done to fix damaged shingles that had started to fall off the roof. This necessitated blocking off the parking spaces surrounding the building.

In 2009, the hall at Old Town Hall was named the "James D. Doherty Town Meeting Hall," after the town's longtime Town Meeting moderator, Jim Doherty.

...Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989.... click to enlarge
...Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989.... click to enlarge
...Old Town Hall.... click to enlarge



See

  • Andover Advertiser, September 4, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, November 20, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, December 25, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, January 1, 1859.
  • "Andover considers ways to save old Town Hall", Eagle Tribune, November 25, 1986.
  • Andover Townsman, April 27, 1989
  • Andover Townsman, May 4, 1989, p. 6+
  • "Sentimental journey for hall", Andover Townsman, July 21, 2005.
  • "Roofing slate falls from Old Town Hall", Eagle Tribune, January 18, 2008.
  • "Falling shingle prompts emergency roof fix", Andover Townsman, February 7, 2008.
  • "Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", Eagle Tribune, March 18, 2008.
  • "Hall named for Jim Doherty," Andover Townsman, November 26, 2009.
  • "Past and Present: Old Town Hall", Andover Townsman, October 25, 2012, page 3.

Andover Town House Function Room

Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House


--Glenda 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)
--Kim 16:32, March 14, 2012 (EDT)

back to Main Page