Difference between pages "Ballardvale Historic District Commission" and "Telephone"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Ballardvale Historic District Commission established by the town in 1995 to preserve Ballardvale. According to Chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws its mission is to:
+
In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
*To preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of the buildings and places significant to the history of the Commonwealth’s cities and towns.
+
*To maintain and improve the settings of those buildings and places.
+
*To encourage compatibility with existing buildings when new buildings are planned within the district."
+
  
The regulations for changes to buildings in Ballardvale are clearly defined in the *Rules Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC".
+
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover.  The first exchange was Greenleaf (475).  Andover originally had a 617 area code.  It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
  
See
 
  
    History of Ballardvale Andover Room R 974.45 His
+
See
    Ballard Historic District Commission (BVHDC)
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=title&d=0&hc=7&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
    Rules, Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
    "Ringing Out the Old" Townsman, January 1 ,2004
+
* "Area Code Changing Again", ''The Townsman'', July 24, 1997.
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
  
--Eleanor 15:22, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 
  
--Eleanor (talk) 15:23, 5 March 2015 (EST)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\
  
back to Main Page
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:41, 22 October 2015

In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.

In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover. The first exchange was Greenleaf (475). Andover originally had a 617 area code. It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.


See



--Eleanor 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\

--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT) back to Main Page