Difference between pages "Elm Square" and "Telephone"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.  
+
In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone.  This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
 +
 
 +
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover.  The first exchange was Greenleaf (475).  Andover originally had a 617 area code.  It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
 +
 
  
 
See
 
See
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=Andover%20a%20Century%20of%20Change&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, pages 10 and 134 (974.45 Ric).  
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=title&d=0&hc=7&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
* "The Elm House" in [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And).
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=elm%20square&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Elm Square: the photographs of Richard Graber, 1962-1969/with an introduction by Howard Yezerski, text by Richard Graber, and recollections of the people of the Town of Andover''] by Richard Graber (Andover Room R 974.45 Gra).
+
* "Area Code Changing Again", ''The Townsman'', July 24, 1997.
 
+
*Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," ''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.
+
[[Image:Elmsquare.jpg|thumb||left| “Elm Square Part of the Problem"
+
''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge ]]
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
*Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott ''Andover, Townsman'' December 5, 1919. [[Image:elmpage1.jpg|thumb||left| “Centenennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge ]]
 
[[Image:elmpage5.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge ]]
 
[[Image:elmpage7.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge ]]
 
 
 
 
[[Image:elm3.jpg|thumb|...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
  
[[File:elmsquare1.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Elm Square before 1919]] <br style="clear:both;" />
 
  
[[Image:Musgrove_Building,_1894.jpg|thumb|...''The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
  
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 12:41, 22 October 2015

In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.

In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover. The first exchange was Greenleaf (475). Andover originally had a 617 area code. It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.


See



--Eleanor 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\

--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT) back to Main Page