Difference between pages "Elm Square" and "Andover Public Safety Center"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.  
+
'''1999''' <br>
 +
The original proposal for the Andover Public Safety Center included plans to improve or rebuild other plant and facilities, public works buildings, and the West Andover Fire Station. Selectman decided to withdraw these  and focus on only a Safety Center. On Monday, April 26, 1999 Andover townspeople approved Article 16 for a $12.9 million dollar proposal for a new Safety Center.
  
 
See
 
See
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=Andover%20a%20Century%20of%20Change&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, pages 10 and 134 (974.45 Ric).
+
*"Selectmen Eliminate Safety Center Riders", Townsman, April 29, 1999, page 13.
* "The Elm House" in [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And).
+
*"Voters Give Safety Center a Unanimous Nod," ''Townsman'', April 29, 1999
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=elm%20square&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Elm Square: the photographs of Richard Graber, 1962-1969/with an introduction by Howard Yezerski, text by Richard Graber, and recollections of the people of the Town of Andover''] by Richard Graber (Andover Room R 974.45 Gra).
+
  
*Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," ''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.
 
[[Image:Elmsquare.jpg|thumb||left| “Elm Square Part of the Problem"
 
''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge ]]
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
*Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott ''Andover, Townsman'' December 5, 1919. [[Image:elmpage1.jpg|thumb||left| “Centenennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge ]]
 
[[Image:elmpage5.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge ]]
 
[[Image:elmpage7.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge ]]
 
  
[[File:elmsquare1.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Elm Square before 1919]] <br style="clear:both;" />
+
'''2000'''<br>
 +
A ground breaking ceremony for the new Safety Center was held on October 14, 2000.
  
This photo is from the ''Townsman'', August 21, 2003 "Past and Present"
+
See
 +
*"Longtime Safety Officers Say Center Long Time Coming", ''Townsman'', October 19, 2000, page 13.
 +
"*Safety Center Slow Going" The Townsman, December 21, 2000
  
[[Image:elm3.jpg|thumb|...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
*"Selectmen Eliminate Safety Center Riders", ''Townsman,'' February 4, 1999, page 6.  
  
  
[[Image:Musgrove_Building,_1894.jpg|thumb|...''The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
'''2001'''<br>
 +
The original completion date for the Safety Center set by Mello Construction was September 2002. The Police Station opened in 2003. The Fire Station did not open until 2005 with an open house for the entire Safety Center on October 20, 2005.
  
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
See
 +
*"Safety Center Construction: Town Impatient with Contractor" ''Townsman'', January 25, 2001, page 15
 +
*"Right to Remain Silent", ''Townsman'', July 19, 2001, page 1.
 +
*"Safety Complex Nearly Ready", Townsman, June 2, 2004.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''2002'''
 +
 
 +
See
 +
*''Eagle Tribune'', September 17, 2002
 +
*"Not Close: Police Station was to Open This Month", ''Townsman'', April 4, 2002.
 +
*"Signs Point to a New Station This Week", ''Townsman'' , August 8, 2002, page 1 & 8.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''2003''' - Construction on the Fire Station actually began in May 2003 and completed in July of 2004.
 +
 
 +
See
 +
*"Town: Another Year for the Safety Center," ''Townsman'', May 8, 2003, page 1
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''2004''' - The fire station was completed in July 2004. It included private dorm rooms for firefighters, a kitchen stove with 10 burners, 4 refrigerators, and a generator the size of a bus for power outages.
 +
 
 +
See
 +
*"$14M Project Nears Home Stretch", ''The Townsman,'' February 19, 2004, page 1 & 4.
 +
*"Public Safety Center: Complex Complete This Week," Andover Townsman, July 1, 2004, page 1.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:41, 30 September 2015 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 12:23, December 30, 2014 (EST)<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:05, 24 March 2016 (EDT)
  
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 14:05, 24 March 2016

1999
The original proposal for the Andover Public Safety Center included plans to improve or rebuild other plant and facilities, public works buildings, and the West Andover Fire Station. Selectman decided to withdraw these and focus on only a Safety Center. On Monday, April 26, 1999 Andover townspeople approved Article 16 for a $12.9 million dollar proposal for a new Safety Center.

See

  • "Selectmen Eliminate Safety Center Riders", Townsman, April 29, 1999, page 13.
  • "Voters Give Safety Center a Unanimous Nod," Townsman, April 29, 1999


2000
A ground breaking ceremony for the new Safety Center was held on October 14, 2000.

See

  • "Longtime Safety Officers Say Center Long Time Coming", Townsman, October 19, 2000, page 13.

"*Safety Center Slow Going" The Townsman, December 21, 2000

  • "Selectmen Eliminate Safety Center Riders", Townsman, February 4, 1999, page 6.


2001
The original completion date for the Safety Center set by Mello Construction was September 2002. The Police Station opened in 2003. The Fire Station did not open until 2005 with an open house for the entire Safety Center on October 20, 2005.

See

  • "Safety Center Construction: Town Impatient with Contractor" Townsman, January 25, 2001, page 15
  • "Right to Remain Silent", Townsman, July 19, 2001, page 1.
  • "Safety Complex Nearly Ready", Townsman, June 2, 2004.


2002

See

  • Eagle Tribune, September 17, 2002
  • "Not Close: Police Station was to Open This Month", Townsman, April 4, 2002.
  • "Signs Point to a New Station This Week", Townsman , August 8, 2002, page 1 & 8.


2003 - Construction on the Fire Station actually began in May 2003 and completed in July of 2004.

See

  • "Town: Another Year for the Safety Center," Townsman, May 8, 2003, page 1


2004 - The fire station was completed in July 2004. It included private dorm rooms for firefighters, a kitchen stove with 10 burners, 4 refrigerators, and a generator the size of a bus for power outages.

See

  • "$14M Project Nears Home Stretch", The Townsman, February 19, 2004, page 1 & 4.
  • "Public Safety Center: Complex Complete This Week," Andover Townsman, July 1, 2004, page 1.



--Eleanor 12:23, December 30, 2014 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 14:05, 24 March 2016 (EDT)

back to Main Page