Difference between pages "Telephone" and "Cemeteries in Andover"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone.  This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
+
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
  
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover.  The first exchange was Greenleaf (475).  Andover originally had a 617 area code.  It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
 
  
 +
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
 +
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
 +
**First burial was in 1810.
 +
**Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
 +
***See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," ''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 2013, p. 16.
  
[[File:Telephone.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page from the 1904 Andover telephone directory from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1933 .]]
 
<br>
 
  
 +
*[http://www.christchurchandover.org/ Christ Church Cemetery - Episcopal]
 +
**Located at 25 Central Street.
 +
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1840.
  
  
 +
*Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
 +
**Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
 +
**When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading.  The cemetery is in this portion.
  
  
 +
*Jenkins Family Cemetery - See Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery
 +
<br style="clear:both;"/>
  
 +
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery]
 +
**Located on Chapel Avenue.
 +
**The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.
  
See
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=title&d=0&hc=7&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
 
* "Area Code Changing Again", ''The Townsman'', July 24, 1997.
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
  
 +
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91539&CScntry=4&CSst=21&CScnty=1177&CSsr=281& Sacred Heart Cemetery]
 +
**Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
 +
**A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association
 +
  
 +
*[http://staugustineparish.org/church_home.html St. Augustine's Church Cemetery]
 +
**Located off Lupine Road; office at 43 Essex Street.
 +
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1855.
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\
 
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
+
*[http://www.northparish.org/index.php North Parish Burial Ground in North Andover]
 +
**First burial ground established in Andover.  Andover split into the North Parish (North Andover) and South Parish (Andover) in 1855.
 +
**[http://hne-rs.s3.amazonaws.com/filestore/1/2/9/1/1_40bc7622deefd6a/12911_e6dfb13f33ac7fb.pdf The Old Burial Ground on Academy Road, North Andover]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91565 Saint Francis Seminary Cemetery]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/index.html South Church Cemetery]
 +
**Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street)
 +
**Oldest cemetery in Andover
 +
**First recorded burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
 +
**See [[South Church (Parish)]]
 +
**[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/ List of people buried in South Church Cemetery]
 +
[[File:southchurchmap.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Map of South Parish Cemetery]]
 +
[[File:Memorial.jpg|200px|thumb|center|List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/ Spring Grove Cemetery]
 +
**Located on Abbot Street.
 +
**This is the Andover town cemetery.  At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery.  Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871.  A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941."
 +
**An online search by name is located on the town's website [http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/search.php Spring Grove Cemetery search] 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.jcam.org/Pages/Cemeteries_New/Cemetery_Pages_08/Lawrence_Mt_Vernon.html Temple Emanuel Cemetery]
 +
**Located at Corbett and Mount Vernon Street.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.westparishgardencemetery.org/ West Parish Cemetery]
 +
**Located at 129 Reservation Road.
 +
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
*Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery
 +
**Located behind 89 Jenkins Road.
 +
**Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
 +
**Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there.  They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove Cemetery in the William Jenkins lot.
 +
**Some stones mark the direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover.
 +
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
 +
**The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
 +
[[Image:Jenkins.jpg|thumb|...Woodbridge and Jenkins Family Cemetery.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;"/>
 +
See
 +
 
 +
*"Buried here (famous Andover residents)," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 1995, p. 1.
 +
*"Historic Undertaking: Repairing stones is grave matter," ''Andover Townsman'', February 21, 2002, p.1.
 +
*"Revolutionary War-era cemetery now town's," ''Andover Townsman'', April 25, 2002.
 +
*"Revolutionary War era cemetery is town's: Woodbridge Jenkins Cemetery," ''Andover Townsman'', May 2, 2002, p. 22.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/26062?query=farm%20and%20neighborhood%20cemeteries;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 "Farm and Neighborhood Cemeteries of Andover and North Andover, Mass, Including Stone Inscriptions"] by Lenora White McQuesten.
 +
*"Finding roots in Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', January 11, 2009, p. 9.
 +
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
See also
 +
 
 +
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
 +
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, South Church and West Parish cemeteries.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)<br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)<br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] ([[User talk:Kim|talk]]) 14:33, 3 February 2016 (EST)
 +
 
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:35, 3 February 2016

The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.


  • Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy
    • Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
    • First burial was in 1810.
    • Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
      • See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," Andover Townsman, December 5, 2013, p. 16.



  • Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
    • Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
    • When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading. The cemetery is in this portion.


  • Jenkins Family Cemetery - See Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery



  • Sacred Heart Cemetery
    • Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
    • A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association





Map of South Parish Cemetery
List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery


  • Spring Grove Cemetery
    • Located on Abbot Street.
    • This is the Andover town cemetery. At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery. Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871. A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941."
    • An online search by name is located on the town's website Spring Grove Cemetery search



  • West Parish Cemetery
    • Located at 129 Reservation Road.
    • Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.


  • Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery
    • Located behind 89 Jenkins Road.
    • Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
    • Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there. They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove Cemetery in the William Jenkins lot.
    • Some stones mark the direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover.
    • Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
    • The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
...Woodbridge and Jenkins Family Cemetery.... click to enlarge



See


See also


--Eleanor 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)
--Kim 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)
--Kim (talk) 14:33, 3 February 2016 (EST)

back to Main Page