Difference between pages "Frye Village" and "File:TurtleMound.jpg"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
Frye Village was named after Samuel Frye who built a saw and grist mill in 1718 where Haverhill Street crosses the Shawsheen River. In 1824, John and Peter Smith built a mill to manufacture machinery used in cotton mills.  John Dove joined with the Smith brothers in 1836 to process flax into fine thread, shoe thread, and flaxen products. Frye Village eventually became Shawsheen Village when William Wood built his model corporate community, 1919 to 1926.
[[File:fryevillagesawmill.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Frye Village Sawmill]] <br style="clear:both;" />
[[File:fryevillage.jpg|200px|thumb|left|A view of Frye Village looking toward Poor Street.]] <br style="clear:both;" /><br>
[[File:Woodworthmotors.jpg|200px|thumb|left|The same view in 2003 shows Woodworth Motors.]] <br style="clear:both;" /><br>Both pictures are from the "Past and Present Section" of the Townsman  on July 31, 2003
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 88 to 90.
* Mills, Mansions, and Mergers, by Edward Roddy, pages 87-90.
[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x906047610/Andover-Stories-Frye-Village-lives-on-under-another-name Frye Village Lives On - Under Another Name] by Don Robb, Andover Historical Society. Also in ''Andover Townsman'' 7/28./2011, p. 7
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 14:59, October 2, 2006 (EDT)
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 10:03, September 7, 2012 (EDT)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:31, 30 September 2015 (EDT)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:45, 9 October 2015 (EDT)
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 14:48, 9 October 2015