Difference between pages "Addison Gallery of American Art" and "November Club"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Built in 1931 on the campus of Phillips Academy, the Addison Gallery of American Art was the first gallery devoted entirely to American Art. The museum owns approximately 1500 paintings. In 2007, plans are underway to increase the size of the gallery by 60%. More museum space, storage and a library will be added from part of a $5 million donation by former student Thomas Israel.
+
*The November Club was the first women's club in Andover.  It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
 +
 
 +
*The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
 +
 
 +
*In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
 +
 
 +
*The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
 +
 
 +
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
  
 
See
 
See
  
*"Celebrating the Andovers: Addison exhibit shows how two towns influenced American artists," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 3, 1995, page 13.
+
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
*''$5 Million to Boost Phillips, Addison"  ''Andover Townsman'', February 8, 2007, page 1+.
+
*"Andover's Innovators Lead the Way", ''The Townsman'', May 30, 2013, page 13.
*"No longer a lady in waiting", ''The Andover Townsman'', January 14, 2010.
+
 
*"Chihuly 'Floats' join Addison's new roof", ''The Andover Townsman'', August 12, 2010.
+
*November Club Yearbooks, 1907-1967, in Andover Room at Memorial Hall Library.
*"Addison reopening awaited", ''The Andover Townsman'', August 12, 2010.
+
*"Addison no longer a still life", ''The Andover Townsman'', September 2, 2010.
+
*"Town gem reset", The Andover Townsman'', September 9, 2010.
+
*"Addison reopening party this Saturday", ''The Andover Townsman'', September 23, 2010.
+
*Addison Gallery is Back in Swing at Age 80. ''Andover Townsman'' October 13, 2011, p.10.
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 14:31, February 9, 2007 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 19:00, July 18, 2012 (EDT)<br><br>--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 10:15, July 24, 2012 (EDT)
 +
<br><br> --[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:28, 18 December 2015 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 15:28, 18 December 2015

  • The November Club was the first women's club in Andover. It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
  • The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
  • In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
  • The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
  • By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church. The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.

See

  • Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. Andover Townsman January 19, 2012. p.8.
  • "Andover's Innovators Lead the Way", The Townsman, May 30, 2013, page 13.
  • November Club Yearbooks, 1907-1967, in Andover Room at Memorial Hall Library.


--Leslie 19:00, July 18, 2012 (EDT)

--Leslie 10:15, July 24, 2012 (EDT)

--Eleanor (talk) 15:28, 18 December 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page