Difference between pages "Frye Village" and "Andover By-Pass"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Frye Village was named after Samuel Frye who built a saw and grist mill in 1718 where Haverhill Street crosses the Shawsheen River. In 1824, John and Peter Smith built a mill to manufacture machinery used in cotton mills.  John Dove joined with the Smith brothers in 1836 to process flax into fine thread, shoe thread, and flaxen products. Frye Village eventually became Shawsheen Village when William Wood built his model corporate community, 1919 to 1926.
 
  
[[File:fryevillagesawmill.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Frye Village Sawmill]] <br style="clear:both;" />
+
The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.
  
[[File:fryevillage.jpg|200px|thumb|left|A view of Frye Village looking toward Poor Street.]] <br style="clear:both;" /><br>
+
Cochran  
<br>
+
Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary
[[File:Woodworthmotors.jpg|200px|thumb|left|The same view in 2003 shows Woodworth Motors.]] <br style="clear:both;" /><br>Both pictures are from the "Past and Present Section" of the Townsman on July 31, 2003
+
<br>
+
 
See
 
See
 +
* "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"''Townsman'', September 17, 2015, page 11
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 88 to 90.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)
  
* Mills, Mansions, and Mergers, by Edward Roddy, pages 87-90.
 
  
[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x906047610/Andover-Stories-Frye-Village-lives-on-under-another-name Frye Village Lives On - Under Another Name] by Don Robb, Andover Historical Society. Also in ''Andover Townsman'' 7/28./2011, p. 7
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 14:59, October 2, 2006 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 10:03, September 7, 2012 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:31, 30 September 2015 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:45, 9 October 2015 (EDT)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:46, 12 February 2016

The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.

Cochran Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary See

  • "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"Townsman, September 17, 2015, page 11


--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)




back to Main Page