Difference between pages "November Club" and "Andover By-Pass"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
*The November Club was the first women's club in Andover.  It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
 
  
*The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
+
The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.
 
+
*In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
+
 
+
*The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
+
 
+
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
+
  
 +
Cochran 
 +
Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary
 
See
 
See
 +
* "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"''Townsman'', September 17, 2015, page 11
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling, Andover Historical Society. ''Andover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)
*"Andover's Innovators Lead the Way", ''The Townsman'', May 30, 2013, page 13.
+
  
*November Club Yearbooks, 1907-1967, in Andover Room at Memorial Hall Library.
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 19:00, July 18, 2012 (EDT)<br><br>--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 10:15, July 24, 2012 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
<br><br> --[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:28, 18 December 2015 (EST)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:46, 12 February 2016

The Andover-By-Pass (Route 125) was constructed to reduce traffic on the Phillips campus. Academy trustees under the leadership of Alum Thomas Cochran bought the land and the state constructed the road, which opened in 1931.

Cochran Cochran Wild Life Sanctuary See

  • "History of the Andover By-Pass (Route 125)"Townsman, September 17, 2015, page 11


--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 12 February 2016 (EST)




back to Main Page