Frye Village was named after Samuel Frye who built a saw and grist mill in 1718 where Haverhill Street crosses the Shawsheen River. In 1824, John and Peter Smith built a mill to manufacture machinery used in cotton mills. John Dove joined with the Smith brothers in 1836 to process flax into fine thread, shoe thread, and flaxen products. Frye Village eventually became Shawsheen Village when William Wood built his model corporate community, 1919 to 1926.
Both pictures are from the "Past and Present Section" of the Townsman on July 31, 2003
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 88 to 90.
- Mills, Mansions, and Mergers, by Edward Roddy, pages 87-90.
Frye Village Lives On - Under Another Name by Don Robb, Andover Historical Society. Also in Andover Townsman 7/28./2011, p. 7
[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 14:59, October 2, 2006 (EDT)--Leslie 10:03, September 7, 2012 (EDT)
back to Main Page