Turtle Mound

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 13:51, 9 October 2015 by Eleanor (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

A stone cairn found in Andover overlooking Haggetts Pond in West Andover. It is named Turtle Mound because an arial view resembles a turtle. The actual date of the structure is not known, although it is thought to have been constructed by Native Americans.

The boulders that make up the structure may vary in size from pebbles to 3 tons. On the outside the dimensions of the Turtle Mound measure approximately 70 feet by 30 feet by 15 feet; on the inside there are two cave-like chambers, eight feet in diameter and 10 feet high, and a rock-lined tunnel.

In a 1951 study of the structure, Yale archeologist Frank Glynn found a layer of human bones mixed with charcoal indicating the structure was used for ceremonial and cremation purposes. Radiocarbon dating of the charcoal sets the date at 2000 B.C. He also found spear points, axe heads, hammer stones, and drills. These he dates at 3000 B.C.

One of the owners of the property, a M. Harnois, built a shrine to a saint on the site in 1914. Evidence of Harnois' shrine still exists.


  • Andover Guide Spring 2007, "A Look at Andover Turtle Mound" by Tom Draheim
  • "Blanchard House Blog", Wednesday, September 5, 2012.(Photo of the Week)
  • Ruins of Great Ireland in New England, Andover Room R 973.11 Goo, pages 102 to 108.
  • NEARA Newsletter (New England Antiquities Research Association Newsletter), December 1969. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
  • NEARA Site Report Sheet. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
  • Great Andover Mystery: Who Built Turtle Mound? Andover Townsman April 12, 2012, p.14

Andover Guide, “Turtle Mound," by Tom Draheim, page 15 .....click to enlarge
Location of Turtle Mount.

Turtle Mound is a pile of boulders stacked together with dimensions of approximately 70 ft, 30 ft, and 15 ft.

--Eleanor 16:16, November 3, 2006 (EST)

--Eleanor 10:44, December 8, 2014 (EST)

back to Main Page