Difference between pages "Andover History" and "Underground Railroad"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick.  Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.
+
There were several stops on Underground Railroad in Andover. <br><br>
  
A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.
+
A brief history of the Underground Railroad from The Underground Railroad in Massachusetts by William H. Seibert (1936):
 +
[[Image:Underground 1.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.1 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
[[Image:Underground 2.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.2 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
[[Image:Underground 3.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.3 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
 
*The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
 
*June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
 
*April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
 
*April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
 
The division of Andover into two parishes: Andover and North Andover was enacted in the ''The Massachusetts Acts of 1855'', Chapter 150 on page 587.
 
*February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
 
*The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
 
*The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.
 
  
In the mid 1840's the early settlers of Andover - John Osgood, Reverend John Woodbridge and Nicholas Holt - came from areas in England that used an open farm system.  Homes were in a compact area with the farming areas located in large open fields. As the town grew the farming parcels and of land given to new arrivals and families of the original settlers was far from the center of town, people began to build homes on their farming lots so they would not travel long distances to farm each day. This drove the population to the South.
+
Andover Homes involved with the Underground Railroad:
 +
*William Jenkins – 8 Douglass Street (formerly Jenkins Road)
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
[[Image:William Jenkins House.jpg|thumb|...''William Jenkins House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
*Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main Street
 +
*Mark Newman House – 210 Main Street on the Phillips Academy Campus
 +
*Stowe House – 80 Bartlett Street - 1852-1862
 +
*William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor Street.  William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
 +
*Free Christian Church – 31 Elm Street. This church was formed by John Smith and other Andover residents who did not think that other churches were making a strong stand against slavery.
 +
* Reverend Ralph Waldo Emerson's House - 210 Main Street - From 1829-1853
 +
* West Parish Church, Reservation Road and Lowell Street - Meeting place of the West Parish Anti-Slavery Society.
  
Vital records for Andover from 1647-1905 on available at the library on microfiche.  Contents of the fiche are listed below.
+
<br>
[[Image:Andover Vital Records.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Vital Records, 1647-1905''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
See
 +
*"Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," ''Andover Townsman'', March 22, 1956.
 +
*"Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," ''Andover Townsman'', June 27, 1996, p.20
 +
*"Underground Railroad stopped here," ''Eagle Tribune'', February 20, 1998, p. 15.
 +
*"Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Underground Railroad," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 2000.
 +
*"Historian: Not Everyone in Andover Backed Abolition of Slavery Before the Civil War", Townsman, July 17, 2003, p. 11, 12.
  
''The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956'', Chapter 571 established a Town Manager system of government for Andover. The plan called for a Board of Selectmen, a moderator, school committee, Trustees of Punchard Free School, Trustess of Cornell Fund, a housing authority. 
 
  
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=andover%20symbol%20of%20new%20england%20fuess&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= “Andover:Symbol of New England”] by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess), p. 314.
 +
*"The William Jenkins House,"  [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=townswoman%27s%20andover&ft=&l=1&d=0&f= ''The Townswoman's Andover''] by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), p. 20.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=west%20of%20shawsheen&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= West of Shawsheen] by Eleanor Campbell, Andover Room 974.45 Cam, Chapter III "A Time of Sorrow", pages 21 to 31. 
 +
*[http://www.nps.gov/sama/historyculture/upload/UGRRsm.pdf Abolitionists and the Underground Railroad in the Essex Natural Heritage Area,] ,published by the National Parks Service.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=658286&t=andover%20underground%20railroad&tp=keyword&l=5&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword The Anti-Slavery Movement and the Underground Railroad in Andover & Greater Lawrence, Massaschusetts] the Greater Lawrence Underground Railroad Committee. Andover Room R 974.45 Gre (pamphlet box 6).
  
See
 
* [http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/96973 ''The Massachusetts Acts of 1855'', Chapter 15O, page 587.] * [https://archive.org/details/actsresolvespass1956mass ''The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956'', Chapter 571]
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=Andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)
 
* [http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fnewe%2Fnewe0020%2F&tif=00493.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DAFJ3026-0020-6 "Historic Andover"] by Annie Sawyer Downs in ''New England Magazine'', volume 20, issue 4, page 483 - 507
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20Sketches%20of%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=5&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=616794&t=First%20Settlements%20of%20North%20Andover%20and%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. "] a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
 
*[http://ma-vitalrecords.org/MA/Essex/Andover Vital Records of Andover, MA]
 
* "The Old Patterns in the New World: the Distribution of Land in 17th Century Andover", by Philip J. Greven, Jr., Essex Institute Historical Collections, April 1965, page 133+
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:06, January 16, 2008 (EST)<br>
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:38, May 10, 2013 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 17:41, July 18, 2012 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 12:15, February 13, 2015 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:53, July 28, 2014 (EDT)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:12, 10 December 2015 (EST)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:14, 10 December 2015

There were several stops on Underground Railroad in Andover.

A brief history of the Underground Railroad from The Underground Railroad in Massachusetts by William H. Seibert (1936):

...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.1 of 3.... click to enlarge


...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.2 of 3.... click to enlarge


...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.3 of 3.... click to enlarge



Andover Homes involved with the Underground Railroad:

  • William Jenkins – 8 Douglass Street (formerly Jenkins Road)


...William Jenkins House.... click to enlarge


  • Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main Street
  • Mark Newman House – 210 Main Street on the Phillips Academy Campus
  • Stowe House – 80 Bartlett Street - 1852-1862
  • William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor Street. William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
  • Free Christian Church – 31 Elm Street. This church was formed by John Smith and other Andover residents who did not think that other churches were making a strong stand against slavery.
  • Reverend Ralph Waldo Emerson's House - 210 Main Street - From 1829-1853
  • West Parish Church, Reservation Road and Lowell Street - Meeting place of the West Parish Anti-Slavery Society.


See

  • "Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," Andover Townsman, March 22, 1956.
  • "Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," Andover Townsman, June 27, 1996, p.20
  • "Underground Railroad stopped here," Eagle Tribune, February 20, 1998, p. 15.
  • "Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Underground Railroad," Andover Townsman, October 26, 2000.
  • "Historian: Not Everyone in Andover Backed Abolition of Slavery Before the Civil War", Townsman, July 17, 2003, p. 11, 12.




--Eleanor 16:06, January 16, 2008 (EST)
--Leslie 17:41, July 18, 2012 (EDT)
--Kim 14:53, July 28, 2014 (EDT)

back to Main Page