Difference between pages "Underground Railroad" and "Parks"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
There were several stops on Underground Railroad in Andover. <br><br>
+
== History of Parks ==
 +
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
  
A brief history of the Underground Railroad from The Underground Railroad in Massachusetts by William H. Seibert (1936):
+
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
[[Image:Underground 1.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.1 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
See
[[Image:Underground 2.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.2 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
 
[[Image:Underground 3.jpg|thumb|...''Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.3 of 3''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 +
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
 +
 
 +
See
 +
 
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
 +
 
 +
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Castle Park ==
 +
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
 +
 
 +
See
 +
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
 +
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
 +
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
 +
 
 +
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
  
Andover Homes involved with the Underground Railroad:
+
See
*William Jenkins – 8 Douglass Street (formerly Jenkins Road)
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
[[Image:William Jenkins House.jpg|thumb|...''William Jenkins House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
 +
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
 +
 
 +
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
 
 +
 
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main Street
+
== Penguin Park ==
*Mark Newman House – 210 Main Street on the Phillips Academy Campus
+
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
*Stowe House – 80 Bartlett Street - 1852-1862
+
*William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor Street.  William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
+
*Free Christian Church – 31 Elm Street. This church was formed by John Smith and other Andover residents who did not think that other churches were making a strong stand against slavery.
+
* Reverend Ralph Waldo Emerson's House - 210 Main Street - From 1829-1853
+
* West Parish Church, Reservation Road and Lowell Street - Meeting place of the West Parish Anti-Slavery Society.
+
  
<br>
 
  
See
+
== Peter Aumais Park ==
*"Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," ''Andover Townsman'', March 22, 1956.
+
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
*"Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," ''Andover Townsman'', June 27, 1996, p.20
+
 
*"Underground Railroad stopped here," ''Eagle Tribune'', February 20, 1998, p. 15.
+
*See
*"Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Underground Railroad," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 2000.
+
 
*"Historian: Not Everyone in Andover Backed Abolition of Slavery Before the Civil War", Townsman, July 17, 2003, p. 11, 12.
+
''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.  
 +
 
 +
Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Shawsheen River Park ==
 +
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
  
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=andover%20symbol%20of%20new%20england%20fuess&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= “Andover:Symbol of New England”] by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess), p. 314.
+
   
*"The William Jenkins House," [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=townswoman%27s%20andover&ft=&l=1&d=0&f= ''The Townswoman's Andover''] by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), p. 20.
+
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=west%20of%20shawsheen&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= West of Shawsheen] by Eleanor Campbell, Andover Room 974.45 Cam, Chapter III "A Time of Sorrow", pages 21 to 31. 
+
See [[Wood Garden]]
*[http://www.nps.gov/sama/historyculture/upload/UGRRsm.pdf Abolitionists and the Underground Railroad in the Essex Natural Heritage Area,] ,published by the National Parks Service.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=658286&t=andover%20underground%20railroad&tp=keyword&l=5&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword The Anti-Slavery Movement and the Underground Railroad in Andover & Greater Lawrence, Massaschusetts] the Greater Lawrence Underground Railroad Committee. Andover Room R 974.45 Gre (pamphlet box 6).
+
  
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:06, January 16, 2008 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 17:41, July 18, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST)
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:53, July 28, 2014 (EDT)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:44, 18 December 2015

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.

See

Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

See


The Park, also known as Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.


See

  • "Park's name splits townies, newcomers," Eagle Tribune, November 28, 2005, page 1.
  • Past and Present. Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005.
  • "'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," Andover Townsman, November 21, 2013, p. 15.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Penguin Park

  • "Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," Boston Globe, May 13, 1990, p. 1.


Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.

Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 44.


Shawsheen River Park

The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)
--Eleanor 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST)

back to Main Page