Difference between pages "Parks" and "The Guild"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
== History of Parks ==
+
In 1894, a group known as the Society for Organized Charity created an organization that could train "the young people in habits of thrift and economy."  This organization became "The Guild," what has been called the town's first youth center.  It started by providing instruction for girls in things like sewingBy 1908, boys were allowed to joinIn the 1940s, the Guild changed it's focus to providing recreational activities.  The building at 10 Brook Street eventually housed the Andover YMCA until the new YMCA was built.  In the 1980s, the Knights of Columbus bought the building.  The Knights continue to use the space.
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel WoodsShrubs and bushes were also plantedBut vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
+
  
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
 
<br><br>
 
See
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
 
  
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
 
<br><br>
 
See
 
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
 
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
 
  
== Castle Park ==
+
[[Image:The_Guild.jpg|thumb|...''The Guild, Andover's first youth center''.... click to enlarge|left]]
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
+
<br><br>
+
See
+
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
+
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
+
 
+
 
+
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
+
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
+
 
+
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
+
 
+
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
+
 
+
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
 
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
 
See
 
See
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press. 
 
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
 
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
 
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
 
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
 
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
 
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
 
== Penguin Park ==
 
See
 
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
 
 
 
== Peter Aumais Park ==
 
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
 
<br><br>
 
See
 
*''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.
 
* "Peter Aumais Park Dedicated." ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44. 
 
 
 
== Shawsheen River Park ==
 
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
 
 
  
+
*"Teen center takes long and winding road," ''Andover Townsman'', April 18, 2013, p. 7.
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
+
*"Town's 'First Youth Center": the Guild", ''The Townsman'' ("Backpage"), February 16, 2006
See [[Wood Garden]]
+
  
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)<br>
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:06, 18 December 2015 (EST)
 
  
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:37, April 25, 2013 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 14:30, 18 December 2015

In 1894, a group known as the Society for Organized Charity created an organization that could train "the young people in habits of thrift and economy." This organization became "The Guild," what has been called the town's first youth center. It started by providing instruction for girls in things like sewing. By 1908, boys were allowed to join. In the 1940s, the Guild changed it's focus to providing recreational activities. The building at 10 Brook Street eventually housed the Andover YMCA until the new YMCA was built. In the 1980s, the Knights of Columbus bought the building. The Knights continue to use the space.


...The Guild, Andover's first youth center.... click to enlarge


See

  • "Teen center takes long and winding road," Andover Townsman, April 18, 2013, p. 7.
  • "Town's 'First Youth Center": the Guild", The Townsman ("Backpage"), February 16, 2006



--Kim 10:37, April 25, 2013 (EDT)

back to Main Page