Difference between pages "The Guild" and "Fires"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1894, a group known as the Society for Organized Charity created an organization that could train "the young people in habits of thrift and economy."  This organization became "The Guild," what has been called the town's first youth center.  It started by providing instruction for girls in things like sewing.  By 1908, boys were allowed to join.  In the 1940s, the Guild changed it's focus to providing recreational activities.  The building at 10 Brook Street eventually housed the Andover YMCA until the new YMCA was built.  In the 1980s, the Knights of Columbus bought the building.  The Knights continue to use the space.
+
== Andover Commons ==
 +
There was a fire at the Andover Commons Elderly complex on Saturday, January 25, 2003.  The third alarm was sounded because of the difficulty in evacuating the building.  Many residents were in wheelchairs or use walkers.
  
 +
See
 +
*"Commons Recovers from Fire," ''Andover Townsman'', January, 30, 2003.
 +
<br>
  
 +
== [[Barnard Street Fire]] ==
 +
<br>
  
[[Image:The_Guild.jpg|thumb|...''The Guild, Andover's first youth center''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
== [[Malden Mills Fire]] ==
 +
<br>
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
== Morgan Farm ==
  
 
See
 
See
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', October 5, 1939
  
*"Teen center takes long and winding road," ''Andover Townsman'', April 18, 2013, p. 7.
 
*"Town's 'First Youth Center": the Guild", ''The Townsman'' ("Backpage"), February 16, 2006
 
  
 +
== Plastex Corporation ==
 +
 +
Six fire departments from surrounding towns were called in to fight this mill fire at the Plastex Corporation on Red Spring Road on February 23, 1941.  The trains between Boston and Portland, Maine were held up because of the fire hoses on the tracks.  The estimate of the damage was $75,000. The Plastex Corporation was a branch of the North American Chemical Company. 
 +
 +
See
 +
 +
*''Andover Townsman'', May 8, 2008, p. 9
 +
 +
*''Andover Townsman'', February 27, 1941, p. 4
 +
 +
*''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'', February 24, 1941
 +
<br>
 +
 +
== Scotland District Schoolhouse ==
 +
In 1902 the Scotland District Schoolhose burned to the ground.  The Ballardvale Station tried in vain to save the structure.
 +
 +
See
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=Andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And), 1902.
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:37, April 25, 2013 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:15, May 29, 2010 (EDT)
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== 1884 Fire ==
 +
This fire began in a building at the intersection of Main and Central street that house a confectionery store and picture frame factory owned by Harry S. Tilton. The fire spread quickly down to adjacent buildings, which included Johnson's Boston Express, McLawlin and Baker Hardware (which housed the telegraph office), Royal Arcanum, and H.P Wright Boot and Shoe Dealer. Andover steamer #1 was the first to arrive on the scene and was aided by Philips Academy students. Fireman from the Ballardvale Fire Station and from Lawrence arrived to help bring the fire under control. Three buildings were a total loss.
 +
<br>
 +
See
 +
*"Andover Ashes", ''Lawrence American - Andover Advertiser'', February 22, 1884, page 2.
 +
 
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:52, 18 December 2015

Andover Commons

There was a fire at the Andover Commons Elderly complex on Saturday, January 25, 2003. The third alarm was sounded because of the difficulty in evacuating the building. Many residents were in wheelchairs or use walkers.

See

  • "Commons Recovers from Fire," Andover Townsman, January, 30, 2003.


Barnard Street Fire


Malden Mills Fire


Morgan Farm

See

  • Andover Townsman, October 5, 1939


Plastex Corporation

Six fire departments from surrounding towns were called in to fight this mill fire at the Plastex Corporation on Red Spring Road on February 23, 1941. The trains between Boston and Portland, Maine were held up because of the fire hoses on the tracks. The estimate of the damage was $75,000. The Plastex Corporation was a branch of the North American Chemical Company.

See

  • Andover Townsman, May 8, 2008, p. 9
  • Andover Townsman, February 27, 1941, p. 4
  • Lawrence Eagle Tribune, February 24, 1941


Scotland District Schoolhouse

In 1902 the Scotland District Schoolhose burned to the ground. The Ballardvale Station tried in vain to save the structure.

See


--Kim 16:15, May 29, 2010 (EDT)


1884 Fire

This fire began in a building at the intersection of Main and Central street that house a confectionery store and picture frame factory owned by Harry S. Tilton. The fire spread quickly down to adjacent buildings, which included Johnson's Boston Express, McLawlin and Baker Hardware (which housed the telegraph office), Royal Arcanum, and H.P Wright Boot and Shoe Dealer. Andover steamer #1 was the first to arrive on the scene and was aided by Philips Academy students. Fireman from the Ballardvale Fire Station and from Lawrence arrived to help bring the fire under control. Three buildings were a total loss.
See

  • "Andover Ashes", Lawrence American - Andover Advertiser, February 22, 1884, page 2.


back to Main Page