Underground Railroad

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 15:14, 10 December 2015 by Eleanor (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

There were several stops on Underground Railroad in Andover.

A brief history of the Underground Railroad from The Underground Railroad in Massachusetts by William H. Seibert (1936):

...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.1 of 3.... click to enlarge

...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.2 of 3.... click to enlarge

...Underground Railroad by Seibert, p.3 of 3.... click to enlarge

Andover Homes involved with the Underground Railroad:

  • William Jenkins – 8 Douglass Street (formerly Jenkins Road)

...William Jenkins House.... click to enlarge

  • Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main Street
  • Mark Newman House – 210 Main Street on the Phillips Academy Campus
  • Stowe House – 80 Bartlett Street - 1852-1862
  • William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor Street. William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
  • Free Christian Church – 31 Elm Street. This church was formed by John Smith and other Andover residents who did not think that other churches were making a strong stand against slavery.
  • Reverend Ralph Waldo Emerson's House - 210 Main Street - From 1829-1853
  • West Parish Church, Reservation Road and Lowell Street - Meeting place of the West Parish Anti-Slavery Society.


  • "Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," Andover Townsman, March 22, 1956.
  • "Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," Andover Townsman, June 27, 1996, p.20
  • "Underground Railroad stopped here," Eagle Tribune, February 20, 1998, p. 15.
  • "Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Underground Railroad," Andover Townsman, October 26, 2000.
  • "Historian: Not Everyone in Andover Backed Abolition of Slavery Before the Civil War", Townsman, July 17, 2003, p. 11, 12.

--Eleanor 16:06, January 16, 2008 (EST)
--Leslie 17:41, July 18, 2012 (EDT)
--Kim 14:53, July 28, 2014 (EDT)

back to Main Page