In 1894, a group known as the Society for Organized Charity created an organization that could train "the young people in habits of thrift and economy." This organization became "The Guild," what has been called the town's first youth center. It started by providing instruction for girls in things like sewing. By 1908, boys were allowed to join. In the 1940s, the Guild changed it's focus to providing recreational activities. The building at 10 Brook Street eventually housed the Andover YMCA until the new YMCA was built. In the 1980s, the Knights of Columbus bought the building. The Knights continue to use the space.
- "Teen center takes long and winding road," Andover Townsman, April 18, 2013, p. 7.
- "Town's 'First Youth Center": the Guild", The Townsman ("Backpage"), February 16, 2006
--Kim 10:37, April 25, 2013 (EDT)
back to Main Page