Difference between pages "Andover Classical Charter School in Andover" and "Telephone"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1997 there was a proposal by a group of townspeople lead by Susan Dalton to create The Andover Classical Charter School to alleviate overcrowding in the Andover middle schools. The school was to use the Hirsch Goal Setting model. The proposed location was the Franciscan Center on River Road. The school was to be a Commonwealth Charter School (on that is not governed by local school committee) as opposed to a Horace Mann Charter School (governed by local school committee).
+
In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
  
The State Department of Education would not award a charter to the Andover Classical Charter School calling the teaching methods proposed too progressive.
+
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover.  The first exchange was Greenleaf (475).  Andover originally had a 617 area code.  It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
  
See
 
*"Advocates Planning for a Charter Middle School', ''Andover Townsman'', September 25, 1997, page 6 and 37.
 
*“Why a  Charter School? Why Here?”, ''Andover Townsman'', October 30, 1997, page 1 and 31.
 
*“Andover Charter School Would Cut Crowding”, ''Andover Townsman'', page A1.
 
*"Andover Enters Unchartered Waters", ''Andover Townsman'', April 16, 1998, page 13.
 
  
 +
[[File:Telephone.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page from the 1904 Andover telephone directory from the ''Andover Townsman Centennial Issue'', July 21, 1933, page 30A .]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
See
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=title&d=0&hc=7&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
 +
* "Area Code Changing Again", ''The Townsman'', July 24, 1997.
 +
"Andover Numbers Had a Nice Ring to Them", ''Andover Townsman'', September 15, 2005
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:17, 5 November 2015 (EST)
 
  
 +
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\
 +
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 15:33, 5 November 2015

In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.

In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover. The first exchange was Greenleaf (475). Andover originally had a 617 area code. It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.


Page from the 1904 Andover telephone directory from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1933, page 30A .


See

"Andover Numbers Had a Nice Ring to Them", Andover Townsman, September 15, 2005


--Eleanor 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\

--Eleanor (talk) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT) back to Main Page