Difference between pages "Telephone" and "Grand Army of the Republic Flag"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone.  This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
+
A Grand Army of the Republic Flag was donated to Memorial Hall Library in 1928. In 2003 the flag was restored by Camille Myers Breeze of Museum Textile Services with $6000 funds raised by the library for the project. The Grand Old Army of Republic is a fraternal organization of veterans who fought in the Union Army. Hence, he flag, which dates back to the late 1880's is not a battle flag.  
 
+
<br><br>
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover. The first exchange was Greenleaf (475).  Andover originally had a 617 area code. It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
+
The flag is displayed in Memorial Hall.
 
+
 
+
[[File:Telephone.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page from the 1904 Andover telephone directory from the ''Andover Townsman Centennial Issue'', July 21, 1933, page 30A .]]
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
[[Image:GARflag.jpg|200px|thumb|left|GAR Flag.]]
  
 
See
 
See
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=title&d=0&hc=7&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
+
* "A Grand Old Flag", The Townsman (Town Talk), October, 2, 2003.
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20a%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
+
*[http://www.suvcw.org/?page_id=167]
* "Area Code Changing Again", ''The Townsman'', July 24, 1997.
+
"Andover Numbers Had a Nice Ring to Them", ''Andover Townsman'', September 15, 2005
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:44, 24 March 2016 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\
 
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:41, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:06, 31 March 2016

A Grand Army of the Republic Flag was donated to Memorial Hall Library in 1928. In 2003 the flag was restored by Camille Myers Breeze of Museum Textile Services with $6000 funds raised by the library for the project. The Grand Old Army of Republic is a fraternal organization of veterans who fought in the Union Army. Hence, he flag, which dates back to the late 1880's is not a battle flag.

The flag is displayed in Memorial Hall.

GAR Flag.

See

  • "A Grand Old Flag", The Townsman (Town Talk), October, 2, 2003.
  • [1]


--Eleanor (talk) 14:44, 24 March 2016 (EDT)

back to Main Page