Difference between revisions of "Farms"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
m
Line 33: Line 33:
 
See
 
See
 
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1VO23D1142234.6117&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+a+century+of+change&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 66, page 67 and page 229.
 
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1VO23D1142234.6117&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+a+century+of+change&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 66, page 67 and page 229.
 
  
  
Line 44: Line 43:
 
*Andover Vertical File - Farms
 
*Andover Vertical File - Farms
  
Maddox Farm
+
 
along the Merrimack River off River Road
+
== Maddox Farm ==
Where Agilent is located in 2006
+
The Maddox Farm, located on the Merrimack River, A huge tract of land, but now the Maddox family owns only 2 parcels in October 1999Sold to Loosigians in the early 1950's; operated the farm as Pleasantview farms until 1976, when it was sold for industrial development.
A huge tract of land, but now the Maddox family owns only 2 parcels in October 1999
+
 
Sold to Loosigians in the early 1950's; operated the farm as Pleasantview farms until 1976, when it was sold for industrial development.
+
Agilent is located there now.
  
  
 +
== Nabydoski Farm ==
 +
The Nabydoski Farm, encompassing 40 acres, closed in 2005.  The town maintained that because the garbage on the farm attracted seagulls. it was responsible for the high coliform count in the Pinnacle Brook. and posed a health risk because the garbage on the farm attracts seagulls.  after a long battle with the town.
  
Nabydoski Farm
 
Closed in 2005 after a long battle with the town
 
 
40 acres
 
40 acres
a health risk responsible for a high coliform count in the Pinnacle Brook because the garbage on the farm attracts seagulls. Sold to developer William Johnson in October of 2004, but held the actual sale for more than a year with negotiations assuring the Mr. Nabydoski keep his home on the property.
+
Sold to developer William Johnson in October of 2004, but held the actual sale for more than a year with negotiations assuring the Mr. Nabydoski keep his home on the property.
  
 
"Neighbors Say His Farm Really Stinks," Andover Townsman, May 8, 2003, page 7
 
"Neighbors Say His Farm Really Stinks," Andover Townsman, May 8, 2003, page 7

Revision as of 12:56, 6 September 2006

Lewis Farm

Developers eyed the extensive farmland in West Andover was after World War II. One by one farmers sold their land and industry and residential dwellings moved in. Roger Lewis, owner of the Lewis Farm on Lowell Street, helped to pass legislation stop development of farmland. The Agricultural Restriction Law provide funds for farmers to enable them to continue farming their land and resist the high sums offered by developers. Mr. Lewis did sell some of his land to developers and then bought a land in South Deerfield.

See


The 1920 Andover Street directory listed 206 farmers. In 1994 there was only one farm stand on Lowell Street.

Richardson Farm

The seventy acre Richardson Farm, located on Elm Street, was sold for the establishment of Merrimack College in 1947.

See


Rennie Farm

The Rennie Farm was located at 61 Argilla Road. One of their crops was strawberries.

See


Sylvan Hollow Farm

The Sylvan Hollow farm, a poultry farm, was located on Boutwell Road. See


Bailey Farm

The Bailey Farm on Laurel Lane was bought by Roger Lewis in 1939. And sold in 1968 to Arkright-Boston, who leased the property to Hewlitt Packard. The farm specialized in strawberries.

See


Loosigian Farm

The Loosigian Farm, located on Lowell Street, has been a working farm since 1910.

See

  • "Loosigian: 81 Years and Counting," Andover Townsman, April 4, 2002, page 1
  • "Farm Bounty Recovering for Wet Spring," Andover Townsman, July 20, 2006
  • Andover Vertical File - Farms


Maddox Farm

The Maddox Farm, located on the Merrimack River, A huge tract of land, but now the Maddox family owns only 2 parcels in October 1999Sold to Loosigians in the early 1950's; operated the farm as Pleasantview farms until 1976, when it was sold for industrial development.

Agilent is located there now.


Nabydoski Farm

The Nabydoski Farm, encompassing 40 acres, closed in 2005. The town maintained that because the garbage on the farm attracted seagulls. it was responsible for the high coliform count in the Pinnacle Brook. and posed a health risk because the garbage on the farm attracts seagulls. after a long battle with the town.

40 acres Sold to developer William Johnson in October of 2004, but held the actual sale for more than a year with negotiations assuring the Mr. Nabydoski keep his home on the property.

"Neighbors Say His Farm Really Stinks," Andover Townsman, May 8, 2003, page 7 "Farmer agrees to Move the Rest of His Livestock," Boston Sunday Globe, January 9, 2005, "Farmer wonders what he'll do" Eagle Tribune 1/20/05, page 1 and page 8 "Nabydoski's Fines Continue to Soar," Eagle Tribune, September, 22, 2005

  • Andover Vertical File - Farms

Rose Glen Farm On Lowell Street Moved his herd to Argilla Road in 1960 and built a dairy bar on Andover Street. The Dairy Bar was sold and Village Deli and other businesses occupy the structure.

Shattuck Farm Offical Massachusetts Historical Site. Archeaological site believed to be populated in 6,000 B.C. "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm, Today, June 18, 1975, page 10 8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms, Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977. Andover Vertical File - Farms

See

  • "Andover's Last Farms,: Andover Townsman, page 44 and 5.



back to Main Page