From Andover Answers
Revision as of 11:48, 6 September 2006 by Eleanor (Talk)

Jump to: navigation, search

Lewis Farm

Developers eyed the extensive farmland in West Andover was after World War II. One by one farmers sold their land and industry and residential dwellings moved in. Roger Lewis, owner of the Lewis Farm on Lowell Street, helped to pass legislation stop development of farmland. The Agricultural Restriction Law provide funds for farmers to enable them to continue farming their land and resist the high sums offered by developers. Mr. Lewis did sell some of his land to developers and then bought a land in South Deerfield.


The 1920 Andover Street directory listed 206 farmers. In 1994 there was only one farm stand on Lowell Street.

Richardson Farm

The seventy acre Richardson Farm, located on Elm Street, was sold for the establishment of Merrimack College in 1947.


Rennie Farm

The Rennie Farm was located at 61 Argilla Road. One of their crops was strawberries.


Sylvan Hollow Farm

The Sylvan Hollow farm, a poultry farm, was located on Boutwell Road. See

Bailey Farm

The Bailey Farm on Laurel Lane was bought by Roger Lewis in 1939. And sold in 1968 to Arkright-Boston, who leased the property to Hewlitt Packard. The farm specialized in strawberries.


Loosigian Farm

The Loosigian Farm, located on Lowell Street, has been a working farm since 1910.


  • "Loosigian: 81 Years and Counting," Andover Townsman, April 4, 2002, page 1
  • "Farm Bounty Recovering for Wet Spring," Andover Townsman, July 20, 2006
  • Andover Vertical File - Farms

Maddox Farm along the Merrimack River off River Road Where Agilent is located in 2006 A huge tract of land, but now the Maddox family owns only 2 parcels in October 1999 Sold to Loosigians in the early 1950's; operated the farm as Pleasantview farms until 1976, when it was sold for industrial development.

Nabydoski Farm Closed in 2005 after a long battle with the town 40 acres a health risk responsible for a high coliform count in the Pinnacle Brook because the garbage on the farm attracts seagulls. Sold to developer William Johnson in October of 2004, but held the actual sale for more than a year with negotiations assuring the Mr. Nabydoski keep his home on the property.

"Neighbors Say His Farm Really Stinks," Andover Townsman, May 8, 2003, page 7 "Farmer agrees to Move the Rest of His Livestock," Boston Sunday Globe, January 9, 2005, "Farmer wonders what he'll do" Eagle Tribune 1/20/05, page 1 and page 8 "Nabydoski's Fines Continue to Soar," Eagle Tribune, September, 22, 2005

  • Andover Vertical File - Farms

Rose Glen Farm On Lowell Street Moved his herd to Argilla Road in 1960 and built a dairy bar on Andover Street. The Dairy Bar was sold and Village Deli and other businesses occupy the structure.

Shattuck Farm Offical Massachusetts Historical Site. Archeaological site believed to be populated in 6,000 B.C. "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm, Today, June 18, 1975, page 10 8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms, Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977. Andover Vertical File - Farms


  • "Andover's Last Farms,: Andover Townsman, page 44 and 5.

back to Main Page