Difference between pages "Andover Business - The Cupcake Boutique" and "Andover Town Hall"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Cupcake Boutique was opened in 2007 by Sharon Breighner.  The location, on Post Office Avenue, takes over the space once used by Helen Thomas and [[Andover Business - Sweet Mimi's |Sweet Mimi's]]  Chocolates (which are now both on Main Street).  Breighner made a deal with the Lawrence Boys and Girls Club to use their kitchen every morning to make fresh cupcakes.
+
See Old Town House and Old Town Hall
  
Due to the rocky economy, Breighner had to close the shop on Post Office Ave in 2009.  She was located within the Andover Spa for some time, next to the sandwich shop RaspberriesNow the business is run out of a location in Haverhill, MA.
+
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homesIt became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.
  
 +
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began.  Using old photographs the meeting room was restored;  it is now rented for functions.
  
 +
The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.
 +
 
See
 
See
*"Hollywood trend hits Andover", ''The Andover Townsman'', October 26, 2006.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
*"Spa gets fancy cupcakes", ''The Andover Townsman'', February 5, 2009.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5 ''Andover What it Was, What it is''] 974.45 And page 1 of the section titled "What it Will Be".
*"Downtown turnover includes new restaurant", ''The Andover Townsman'', September 17, 2009.
+
*"He Fought for Town Hall - and Won" ''Townsman'', July 14, 2005, page 34
*"Cupcake shop on move; new shoe store opens", ''The Andover Townsman'', January 15, 2009.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/1159536?qtype=keyword;query=images%20of%20america%20andover;locg=5 Images of America], by Andrew Gritz 974.5 Gri, pages 96 &97.
  
[[Image:Cupcakes.jpg|thumb|...''Sharon Breighner''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)
  
--[[User:Jen|Jen]] 9:27, November 16, 2010 (EST)
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 09:11, 26 May 2015

See Old Town House and Old Town Hall

After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.

During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.

The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.

See


--Eleanor 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page