Difference between pages "Andover Business - Draeger Medical Systems Inc." and "Andover Town Hall"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: Draeger Medical Systems Inc. is a German medical equipment supplier. With offices in Danvers and Andover, the company decided to move all operations to Andover in April of 2005 when they ...)
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Draeger Medical Systems Inc. is a German medical equipment supplier.  With offices in Danvers and Andover, the company decided to move all operations to Andover in April of 2005 when they created a long-term lease at the Andover Tech Center, 6 Tech Drive.  The facility was once a part of the Philips Medical System but in 2005 was transformed into the global headquarters of Draeger Medical Systems.
+
See Old Town House and Old Town Hall
  
 +
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes.  It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street. 
  
 +
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began.  Using old photographs the meeting room was restored;  it is now rented for functions.
 +
 +
The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.
 +
 
See
 
See
*"Draeger to shift operations to Andover", ''The Eagle Tribune'', October 19, 2005.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5 ''Andover What it Was, What it is''] 974.45 And page 1 of the section titled "What it Will Be".
 +
*"He Fought for Town Hall - and Won" ''Townsman'', July 14, 2005, page 34
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/1159536?qtype=keyword;query=images%20of%20america%20andover;locg=5 Images of America], by Andrew Gritz 974.5 Gri, pages 96 &97.
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)
  
--[[User:Jen|Jen]] 14:51, September 9, 2010 (EST)
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 09:11, 26 May 2015

See Old Town House and Old Town Hall

After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.

During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.

The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.

See


--Eleanor 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page