Difference between pages "Andover Business - Dylan's Bar and Grill" and "Andover Town Hall"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Dylan's Bar & Grill is located on Park Street in Andover.  The resaurant has been owned by Samuel Petrovich since 2003. 
+
See Old Town House and Old Town Hall
  
In 2005, Petrovich was found in violation of Andover's alcoholic beverage laws because he did not have the correct license for serving alcohol to patrons on the restaurant's outdoor patio.  The restaurant had the correct licenses before Petrovich bought it in 2003, but he failed to indicate that he would continue to serve alcohol outdoors, and the license was not renewed.
+
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homesIt became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.   
 
+
In 2009, town selectmen voted to raise parking fines from $15 to $20As a result, Petrovich offered to pay the parking meter costs during the time that a patron came in to each lunchHe also advertised that he would gladly make change to anyone who did not have coins for the parking meters.
+
  
 +
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began.  Using old photographs the meeting room was restored;  it is now rented for functions.
  
 +
The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.
 +
 
See
 
See
*"Businesses not buying Barnard Street shutdown", ''The Andover Townsman'', March 23, 2006.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
*"Dylan's ruled in violation of outdoor-alcohol laws", ''The Eagle Tribune'', September 14, 2007.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5 ''Andover What it Was, What it is''] 974.45 And page 1 of the section titled "What it Will Be".
*"One man's fight against parking costs", ''The Eagle Tribune'', July 29, 2009.
+
*"He Fought for Town Hall - and Won" ''Townsman'', July 14, 2005, page 34
*"'Restaurant row' planned for Andover's Elm Square", ''The Eagle Tribune'', August 4, 2009.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/1159536?qtype=keyword;query=images%20of%20america%20andover;locg=5 Images of America], by Andrew Gritz 974.5 Gri, pages 96 &97.
 
+
[[Image:Dylan's.jpg|thumb|...''Sam Petrovich''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
[[Image:Dylan's 2.jpg|thumb|...''Dylan's''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
--[[User:Jen|Jen]] 15:02, September 9, 2010 (EST)
 
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 09:11, 26 May 2015

See Old Town House and Old Town Hall

After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.

During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.

The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.

See


--Eleanor 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page