Andover - Separation

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 17:07, 22 October 2007 by Eleanor (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Because the original settlement of Andover was along Lake Cochichewicke, the meeting house was in that area. When in 1707 the population of the town had increase enough to warrant a second meeting house, the majority of townspeople lived in the southern area of the town. Andover was divided into two parishes and a second meeting house was built in the southern portion.

The Southern Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house, the Alms House and paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.

See

  • Andover Advertiser, April 7, 1853(4), page 2 column 1 and 2
  • Andover Advertiser, April 8, 1854, page 2 column 4 (Report of the townspeople who met with the legislature.)

*Andover Advertiser, March 10, 1855, page 2 column 1

  • Andover Advertiser March 17, 1855, page 2, column 3 (Senate Commitee report of the division of the town.
  • Andover Advertiser, April 14, 1855, page 4 (The legislative act dividing the town.)


--Eleanor 12:48, October 22, 2007 (EDT)

back to Main Page