Smith and Dove Flax Mills

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 17:48, 8 August 2012 by Dean (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Smith and Dove Flax Mills

    Railroad Street and Essex Street and Red Spring Road

Originally the site was used by Abraham Marland. Then in 1814 Pascal and Abel Abbot erected a mill to produce spun cotton, wool and flannel. They operated the mill until 1837. James Howarth erected a stone mill building in 1824 to produce flannel. This mill went out of business in 1837 also.


  • Small Riot, Attack on Officer and Abbot Village. (Bill Dalton column describes Abbot Village where many Smith and Dove workers lived, and Abbot Village Hall) Andover Townsman January 26, 2012, p.9.

--Eleanor 12:53, October 7, 2006 (EDT)--Leslie 17:48, August 8, 2012 (EDT) back to Main Page