Cemeteries in Andover

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 15:53, 3 February 2016 by Kim (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.


  • Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy
    • Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
    • First burial was in 1810.
    • Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
      • See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," Andover Townsman, December 5, 2013, p. 16.



  • Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
    • Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
    • When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading. The cemetery is in this portion.


  • Jenkins Family Cemetery - See Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery



  • Sacred Heart Cemetery
    • Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
    • A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association





  • South Church Cemetery
    • Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street).
    • Oldest cemetery in Andover.
    • First recorded burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
    • The first two ministers, Rev. Samuel Philips and Rev. Jonathan French, and their families are buried there. Also buried are the founders of Phillips Academy, Andover Theological Seminary and the Abbot Female Academy.
    • Andover's Revolutionary War dead are buried there or remembered at the triangle of School and Central Streets.
    • See South Church (Parish)
    • List of people buried in South Church Cemetery
Map of South Parish Cemetery
List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery


  • Spring Grove Cemetery
    • Located on Abbot Street.
    • This is the Andover town cemetery. At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery. Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871. A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941."
    • An online search by name is located on the town's website Spring Grove Cemetery search



  • West Parish Cemetery
    • Located at 129 Reservation Road.
    • Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.


  • Woodbridge-Jenkins Family Cemetery
    • Located at 4 Douglas Lane, off Mortimer Road, off Jenkins Road.
    • 17 people were buried there between 1753-1882.
    • In 1882, 8 members of the Jenkins family were reinterred, 7 to Spring Grove Cemetery (William Jenkins lot), 1 to South Church Cemetery.
    • 9 remain, 6 members of the Benjamin Woodbridge family (1805-1853, direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover), and 3 children of Samuel and Rebecca Jenkins, who died on consecutive days in September 1753.
    • The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
    • A 2003 Eagle Scout project cleaned up, restored, and fenced in the cemetery.
    • A 2014 Eagle Scout project built a footbridge and footpath from the road to the cemetery.
...Woodbridge and Jenkins Family Cemetery.... click to enlarge



See


See also


--Eleanor 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)
--Kim 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)
--Kim (talk) 14:33, 3 February 2016 (EST)

back to Main Page