In the late 1880's Moses Stevens connected the Marland Mills - one in Andover, one in Haverhill, and one in North Andover - by telephone. This was the first telephone in Andover. Moses Stevens had bought Marland Mills from Abraham Marland in 1879.
In the 1958 dial telephones came to Andover. The first exchange was Greenleaf (475). Andover originally had a 617 area code. It was first changed to 508 and finally to 978 in 1977.
- Historical Sketches of Andover by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai), p.590
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), pages 84 and 147.
- "Area Code Changing Again", The Townsman, July 24, 1997.
"Andover Numbers Had a Nice Ring to Them", Andover Townsman, September 15, 2005
--Eleanor 16:27, November 17, 2009 (EST)\