Parks: Difference between revisions

From Andover Answers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
mNo edit summary
mNo edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
== History of Parks ==
== History of Parks ==
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  


The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, known better as Central Park
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, known better as [[Central Park]].




Line 24: Line 23:




== The Park , also known as Central Park ==
== Central Park ==
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."  
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."  
<br style="clear:both;" />
<br style="clear:both;" />

Revision as of 12:03, 22 December 2006

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, known better as Central Park.


Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park, sometimes called Shawsheen River Park, is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

  • See

Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal, page 49 (974.45 Cel)


Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

  • See

Richardson Andover Century of Change Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).

Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)

back to Main Page