James Johnson was the Police Chief from 1980 to 1998. He was succeeded by Brian Pattullo, who was police chief until 2013. Sgt. Pat Keefe was appointed to take over as chief. Keefe was hired in Andover in 1998. He is a veteran and member of the National Guard.
Patullo has plans to work full time as the chief operation officer of a Boston-based security firm.
In 1997 a dispute between Police Lieutenant Phillip Froburg and Officer Craig Poirier resulted in union involvement and discussion with the Selectman after the results of a survey taken by police officers on diversity was leaked to the Townsman.
Andover Police Department and the Commission on Disabilities instituted Project Lifesaver in 2005. Bracelets with hidden radio transmitters to track the whereabouts of people who tend to wander from their homes.
In 2003 the police acquired ATV's to patrol Andover's waterways and the areas surrounding. In 2007 the Town acquired a T3, a 3-wheeler to patrol the streets and parks in Andover.
- "Police Officers Cite Management Problems", Andover Townsman, April 24, 1997.
- "Cop Clash Comes Before Selectman", Andover Townsman, October 23, 1997.
- "Police Chief Johnson to Retire", Andover Townsman, October 23, 1997.
- "Town Celebrates Swearing in of a New Police Chief", The Townsman, April 2, 1998.
- "The Pedal Patron", The Townsman, May 21, 1998
- "It's Official: Police Chief Search Will Stay In-house", Andover Townsman, December 4, 1997.
- "Police Now Have a Nose That Can Sniff Out Drugs", The Townsman, December 16, 1999, page 7.
- "Police Get ATV's to Protect the Water", The Townsman, June 5, 2003.
- "On the Right Track", Eagle Tribune, July 13, 2005.
- "Police Debut Their 'Chariot'", Eagle Tribune, August 10, 2007, page 1 and 4
- "Andover police chief to retire July 31: Sgt. Keefe to be appointed as chief," Eagle Tribune, February 20, 2013.
- "Town manager appoints Keefe: Current chief's pension details to be worked out," Andover Townsman, February 28, 2013, p.1.
- "'The right guy': Chief Keefe takes reins of Andover Police Department," Andover Townsman, August 8, 2013, p. 1.
back to Main Page