Andover Business - Andover Inn

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search

The Andover Inn is owned by Phillips Academy and is located on Chapel Avenue. It was built in 1930 and has switched hands a number of times since then.


  • Orginally built in 1930 as a dormitory building, it was converted into a hotel and restaurant in the 1950s.
  • In March of 1976 the Andover Inn came under the management of dutch hotelier Henry P.J. Broekhoff who oversaw business at the Inn for 30 years.
  • Broekhoff's son, Marc, began acting as the Inn's general manager in 2000.
  • When Henry P.J. Broekhoff retired from the Andover Inn on December 31, 2005, Phillips Academy gave the contract to The Vermont consulting company Oates & Brefeldt on January 1, 2006. The Broekhoff family purchased the Blacksmith Shop Resaurant in Rockport on September 19, 2005.
  • State Sanitary Code violations kept the Andover Inn closed until June 9, 2006.
  • While under the management of Oates & Bredfeldt, the Inn's restaurant was lead by award-winning chef William Hollinger.
  • In February of 2008, Oates & Bredfeldt ended their contract with Philips Academy due to some legal conflicts. The disputes eventually led Philips to sue Oates & Bredfeldt for $185,000 in back rent.
  • Morello Hospitality Group took over as the Andover Inn's management company in February of 2008. Oates & Bredfeldt chose not to transfer their liquor license to the new management team and as a result, the Inn was unable to serve alcoholic beverages for about 3 months.
  • When the Inn was relaunched by Matthew Morello and Alison Sudalter-Morello (formerly the owners of Savour Kitchen) in September of 2008, it did so under a revamped name -- the Andover Inn, Brasserie with James Flynn is the acting manager.(Prior to managing Brasserie, the Morellos operated Savour at Park Street Village.)
  • On July 1, 2009, the Andover Inn closed for an extensive renovation project managed by Erland Construction, Inc. in conjunction with the design firm Arrowstreet, Inc. Renovations were estimated to last 18 months.
  • The Andover Inn reopened on October 1, 2010 with a fully renovated restaurant called Samuel's named after Samuel Phillips, Jr. who founded Phillips Academy in 1778.


  • "Old school and elegance", Eagle Tribune, May 23, 2005.
  • "Missing the Spotlight", The Andover Townsman, August 4, 2005.
  • "5 make 'Best of Boston' list", The Andover Townsman, August 4, 2005.
  • "New Andover Inn managers to bring changes", Eagle Tribune, October 11, 2005.
  • "Andover Inn in 2006: Under New Management"
  • "Violations delay new Andover Inn rollout", Andover Townsman, February 16, 2006.
  • "Inns - and outs - for Broekhoff", Andover Townsman, May 25, 2006.
  • "Andover Inn reopens; new management", Andover Townsman, June 22, 2006.
  • "License - but no booze at Inn", Andover Townsman, March 20, 2008.
  • "New Andover Inn unveiled", Andover Townsman, September 25, 2008.
  • "Andover Inn reopens with new Brasserie", Eagle Tribune, September 30, 2008.
  • "Andover Inn has closed", Andover Townsman, July 2, 2009.
  • "Most of Andover Inn to be gutted", Andover Townsman, October 15, 2009.
  • "Taste of the Andovers returns next month, benefits students", The Andover Townsman, September 23, 2010.
  • "Redone Andover Inn Set to Open October 1", Eagle Tribune, September 24, 2010
  • "Andover Inn prepares for its grand reopening", The Andover Townsman, September 30, 2010.
  • "The many facades of Andover's inn", The Andover Townsman, January 6, 2011.
  • Waterford hotel Group to Manage Andover Inn at Phillips Academy. Andover Townsman August 23, 2012, p. 11.

See Also

...Andover Inn Bird's Eye.... click to enlarge
...Andover Inn Brasserie.... click to enlarge
...Andover Inn Henry Broekhoff.... click to enlarge
...Andover Inn Kitchen.... click to enlarge
...Andover Inn Women.... click to enlarge

back to Main Page

--Jen 15:22, July 7, 2010 (EST)--Leslie 20:00, August 29, 2012 (EDT)