Andover Business - Cross Coal Co.
The Cross Coal Company in Andover was founded by Captain Jerome Cross in 1864. The company began cutting cord wood in Pleasant Valley and hauling across the Merrimack River by barge. He soon expanded to hauling anthracite coal from Newburyport to to Lawrence and Andover. By 1900 the coal was transported to Andover by railroad. In 1909 the company incorporated and expanded into the oil business in 1933.
The company later moved to Lawrence and merged with Waleco Oil.
back to Main Page