The original Phillips Academy Inn was built in 1817 by Samuel Phillips, Jr. In 1887 it burned to the ground. In 1828 a carpenter shop was built for the Theological Seminary, next to the Inn, as seen in the photos. In 1852, Professor Calvin E. Stowe and his wife, Harriet Beecher Stowe, remodeled the shop which later served as their residence. Harriet Beecher Stowe referred to the house as her "Stone Cabin."