The town purchased land off Abbott Street on Pomp's Pond from Homer Foster in 1947 and in 1963 bought the former Camp Manning Boy Scout camp to create Recreation Park. The main building, Recreation Lodge, burned down in 1978. Four lighted tennis courts were built in 1976. A shelter and rest rooms were erected in 1982. The 1995 Town Meeting approved $215,000 for improvements on the site. This was not done for several years. Throughout the end of the 1990's into 2000 there was talk of turning the gravel pit into fields.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric, page 213).
- "For Now Fields are Dreams", Andover Townsman, December 3, 1998
- "Despite Defeat, Town Pushes Again for Gravel-pit Fields., Andover Townsman, August 2, 2000, page 17.
- "Lights out at softball field: Selectman nix request for new lighting towers," Andover Townsman, April 5, 2007, p. 1.
- "$100,000 for outdoor lights at Recreation Park," Andover Townsman, May 8, 2008.
- Recreation Park